Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Alfa 2.0L spider 1984 .After 2 months I finally managed to get the head off after fabricating my own puller bearing on every head stud and pressing it down with hydraulic press ,as usual it was corroded around the head studs also when I finally got the head off, there was corrosion on the face around the head stud hole. sent it to the machine shop to hydraulic test it weld and skim.The machine shop have come back with perforations on 2 of the head stud holes .The question is -as they are bathed in coolant anyway does this need to be rectified by sleeving the stud holes or just get the corrosion welded and skimmed as the studs are bathed in coolant anyway
? thanks for reading

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
can you post a photograph of exactly what you mean?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you post a photograph of exactly what you mean?
Hi,
At the moment the head is still with the machine shop here in spain,but I would presume that on doing the hydraulic test, they have seen seepage from a waterway into the head stud hole.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
At the moment the head is still with the machine shop here in spain,but I would presume that on doing the hydraulic test, they have seen seepage from a waterway into the head stud hole.
I have contacted the machine shop and they are going to bring the head on monday so I can see exactly what they mean and take fotos

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
(my not great Spanish)
Cabeza de cilindros motor. Agua puede salir del bloque del motor. El perno de metal está bajo presión (desde el agua).
Me gustaría ver fotos, por favor. El cabeza necessita reparado, más probable….
Puede ser más barato reemplazar…

(My slightly better english English)
The cylinder head may leak to the outside of the motor if it leaks through the stud holes. (if its leaking like I think) Pictures would help. It is under pressure, the head will probably need to be repaired or replaced. It may be cheaper to replace.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
,,,sent it to the machine shop to hydraulic test it weld and skim.The machine shop have come back with perforations on 2 of the head stud holes ... as the studs are bathed in coolant anyway...(what does it matter?)
It probably depends on where the perforations start and stop. I know you don't want coolant and oil mixing. I've seen a couple of head nuts that leaked coolant. One was my old 2000 spider, I removed the nut that sprayed coolant, put some silicone sealant inside the acorn nut and reinstalled it. Another was on a Giulietta with newly re-chromed head nuts. One nut leaked at the hardened steel washers. It was ground flat but still leaked before it was replaced with a used nut that did not leak. No problem with either heads or nuts.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
The stud holes are open to the coolant. So there is always coolant around the stud holes. That is why you get corrosion built up around them from badly maintained cooling systems.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as its not going into the oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's what I was thinking if the perforation is not comunicating oil and waterways it should be ok but I will know more after seeing the head on monday will post again after actually seeing the head again and will try and get some fotos.thanks for the replies up till now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts