Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day everyone;

after isolating that it is not a pump issue, or a fuel supply line, I removed pump and watched actuator stem, that should drive the rocker in the mechanical pump housing. While cranking the engine, the stem lever is not moving. Looks disengaged.

The actuator stem (or lever) is the the one that drives the rocker, that creates the pumping action of the diaphragm.

I know the drive is the same that drives the distributor (distributor rotor is turning when engine is cranked).

How to get to the cause (a disengagement?) and how to fix it. How is this linkage accessible and what are potential failures and respective fixes.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.
Regards.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you mean the pushrod is not moving?

That would be strange/rare as it's just a solid rod that is pushed by a cam so just to be sure, with the pump off press your finger on the end of the pushrod and turn the motor over to make sure. If the cam is worn it may not move much but should move some.

Let us know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear paulgtv; thanks for this post with description and suggestion of a test. It opened the doubt as if the rod is indeed moving or not, due to the slow speed of the cranking of the engine (it is not being started) I did not actually notice the rod moving. I will double check tonight. So, you explained that the rod, should be directly making contact with the surface of the cam (via a tappet/spring assembly), so no actuator rod or "finger follower"?. In which case, I agree, I should sense some sort of movement on the end of the pushrod, even in case of cam wear. If the spring had broken, I should be able to feel play of the rod. When static, the rod feels" in place"...no play whatsoever. More to come later. Regards. V.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello paulgtv:
I can NOT see any movement of the rod, nor sense it, by having tip of finger against the rod end. Granted the whole thing wobbles, under cranking and the whole rod stroke, must be something like only 4-5mm. nakagtv is looking for a 2000 engine manual, to see the details of this linkage. Personally I am thinking that the drive pinion of the cam shaft that drives this rod, has disengaged somewhat, maybe a sheared lock pin. For now I will wait until I get more details of the assembly that drives the push rod.
Again thank you, Good afternoon.
V

1 - 4 of 4 Posts