Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the opinion of some of the gearbox gurus here at Alfabb.com :confused1:

I have opened the gearbox of my 105 Series 1969 1750 GTV to check the condition, and to me it looks good. But I'm very far from being an expert! This is the first time I have opened a gearbox...
I have not dismantled the axles and gears to check inside of the synchro sleeves, synchro rings etc.

My questions to the gearbox gurus out there are:

1. With the gears looking like this, should I still dismantle the axles and check synchro sleeves and rings?

2. Would you recommend a complete overhaul anyway (replace any worn some synchro rings, sleeves, bearings and seals).

Regards
John-Kåre :D

More detail pictures of the gearbox here:
1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV Mk I | Restoration of a 1969 Alfa Romeo Bertone Coupe

·
Richard Jemison
7,220 Posts
Trans

Actually the teeth on the syncros look OK. (of the 1st/2nd set in the picture which are commonly the worst for wear problems.)

Rebuilt at some point?

However the thing I suggest while you are at this point, is to pull the assembly apart just to get to the 1st gear and see if the entire syncro assembly has been changed to the 2nd through 5th design assembly. The stock 1st gear syncro is a one directional only syncro which is the reason for grinding when engaging from a stop.

There is a "Sticky" thread in the transmission section regarding this conversion.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gearbox-transaxle-differential-propshaft/29492-first-gear-fix.html

Easy to do if you have the parts (commonly a good donor from a 4th or 5th gear)
Alsoit is simple to identify as a 1st gear reciever has 2 cuts for internal locks in it and the others have only one.

When assembling use Permatex Ultra Grey sealant and be sure sealant is around all the holes for bolts/studs. You dont want a leaker!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Richard. I really appreciate your feedback :D

I doubt that it has been rebuilt or modified. I believe the car has been stored in boxes since the late 1980’s.
Odometer shows 71 000 km/44 000 miles.

I’ll definitely follow your advice and modify the 1st gear synchro:) And I will make sure that I seal the gearbox properly. I had a -73 2000 GTV leaking from the gearbox (this was after the previous owner had paid a fortune to overhaul the gearbox by professionals), and don't want to see that again :no:

Regards
John-Kåre :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts