Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
transmission selector, Fifth and Reverse, has become very difficult over short time. It's not hard to bring over the shift lever, but then trying to push into either Fifth or Reverse takes great deal of effort..like overcoming some mechanical resistance. When I exert considerable (way out of ordinary) effort, it pops into the gear. It will pull out as easily as other gears.. no problem.
I removed the shift mechanism to where I have only the 3 selector rods (can see some minimally down into gears). I can easily move the 1st/2nd, and 3rd/4th selector rods easily back and forth. NOT the 5th/Rev rod. Something is preventing it's forward-backward movement..(Upon driving the warmed up car, it gets somewhat easier, but still far from it's historically smooth self.) This is a 105 GT JR gearbox....

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Sounds symptomatic of detent springs/balls. Good news is that you can check/change those through the sift tower with the gearbox still in the car. I had similar issue...sometimes would cause issues, other times would be completely fine.

There is also, depending on the year, a reverse gate at the top of the tower that can get out of whack sometimes. Again, something you can check in the car...actually before you even get to the detent springs.

Reactions: OldSpi101

·
Richard Jemison
7,537 Posts
The issue is too much clearance between the Alum sockets and the internal shift mechanism. As well it is probably not centered, so that the shift arm rest in the center of the 3rd/4th shift rod as it should. There should be nearly no clearance between the center mechanism so that it cannot move side to side. Only pivot front to back smoothly..
In this circumstance the shift arm is getting hung, and it is trying to push the center rod as well as the outer rod when engaging 5th or 1st or 2nd..
If the shifter rod is worn so it has a a noticeable wear at the tapered edge than new at the front or back you should replace it.

Closing and centering the shifter mechanism`s clearances often is the solution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts