Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, newbie here.

Had a question want to throw. Is it possible to use liners and pistons from 2.0 to 1.8 block and does it share the same cylinder head? I'm very interested what can be done to 2.0 engine and its modification but it's quite hard to find a good solid 2.0 engine here in Indonesia. Got me an offer that somebody had a 2.0 that I can bought which I believe from an alfetta, which a following question is, does 2.0 from alfetta the same specification as 2.0 from GTVs?
The offer comes with a price of 1400-1500 US$ (rough estimation of currency conversion) for the 2.0 offered to me. Is it a 'sensible' for a 2.0 engine or is it just nuts?

Not sure if this question had been asked, did a search no avail. But my apology if had been asked. It's a learning process for me.

Andra

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi,

I don't know about the 1.8 block, in the US market we had the 1750 and 2000 engines. The head and liners are not interchangeable. The Alfetta engine can be used in a 105 chassis, but the end of the crankshaft will need to be drilled to accept the pilot bearing for the transmission input shaft. Without knowing the condition of the Alfetta engine it's hard to know if it's worth what they want for it. If it's worn out you could easily spend $3,000 on a stock rebuild.

Dick Stachowiak

71 GTV
71 Spider

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dick,

Yes I meant 1750. What is the current price of 2.0 engine back in the states? I believe the engine is called Nord isn't it?

Andra

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nord engine for 105 car........

Hi Dick,

Yes I meant 1750. What is the current price of 2.0 engine back in the states? I believe the engine is called Nord isn't it?

Andra
In the UK , you could get a 2000 engine /carbs for
7,027,950.oo Indonesian Rupiahs + shipping :eek:

·
Registered
470 Posts
The price seems high for an alfetta motor unless its in good shape internally. Drilling the pilot hole in the rear of the crank is no small task, unless the hole is already there. Count money off for that if its your only option. Might be cheaper in the long run to order one from europe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the UK , you could get a 2000 engine /carbs for
7,027,950.oo Indonesian Rupiahs + shipping :eek:
Now that is tempting! I found one also from ebay UK for 650 GB Pounds which is not far off from the one you found.

The price seems high for an alfetta motor unless its in good shape internally. Drilling the pilot hole in the rear of the crank is no small task, unless the hole is already there. Count money off for that if its your only option. Might be cheaper in the long run to order one from europe.
Thank you, I learnt more. I think with that money I better off buy 123 Distributor and others to smoothen up the ignition system. Pretty sure there still some left for me to get camshaft and 9.5:1 piston+liners set and perhaps other stuff too!

Thanks gents

·
Premium Member
22,186 Posts
2000 has different bore centers from the earlier engines, so the combustion chambers don't line up with the bores.
2000s in the US are a dime a dozen. By far the most common engine sold. Price depends on condition and whether you can test the engine, but rebuilders start at free/$100 or thereabouts.
Andrew

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2000 has different bore centers from the earlier engines, so the combustion chambers don't line up with the bores.
2000s in the US are a dime a dozen. By far the most common engine sold. Price depends on condition and whether you can test the engine, but rebuilders start at free/$100 or thereabouts.
Andrew
So there is difference in manufacturing design. Also and still, interested with TS but the price is probably something I can afford in 10 years or so, definitely not 21 y/o pocket friendly.
I assume there will be difficulty of putting TS head (from 105 series) on a 1750 block or it will only suits 2000 block?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think its possible to put a TS head on a 105 block, but not worth the trouble...especially for someone without unlimited funds. Find a good nord motor and be done with it. Ive got a TS motor in peices in the shed, but not the $ to put it right, so it sits as an investment, as I tell the wife.

·
Premium Member
22,186 Posts
I seem to recall you need different head studs to fit a TS head to an earlier block, not a small project.
Andrew

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I seem to recall you need different head studs to fit a TS head to an earlier block, not a small project.
Andrew
So 1750 is the early engine while 2.0 / 2000 is the late engine, does the same applies with transmission? Sorry for the many many newbie questions :eek:

Andra

1 - 11 of 11 Posts