Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Alfistis,

I’m on the process of changing the camshafts of my 1973 gtv. I’m trying to remove the timing gears, but it’s pretty locked. I don’t want to damage the original camshafts, so does anybody has an idea how I can remove these gears?

Thank you

Best regards

Ludo

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hi Alfistis,

I’m on the process of changing the camshafts of my 1973 gtv. I’m trying to remove the timing gears, but it’s pretty locked. I don’t want to damage the original camshafts, so does anybody has an idea how I can remove these gears?

Thank you

Best regards

Ludo
Presumably you mean the gears on the forward end of the camshafts ?
If so, yes, just remove the end nut & washers and tap the gear off the end of the cam. (they are on a keyway).
If it doesn't come off easily, someone before you may have dmaged the key and / or keyway in some way.

·
Super Moderator
10,955 Posts
just remove the end nut & washers and tap the gear off the end of the cam. (they are on a keyway).
If it doesn't come off easily, someone before you may have dmaged the key and / or keyway in some way.
Remove the end nut & washers and the small nut & bolt that goes through one of the many pairs of holes between the cam and sprocket. Is it possible you neglected to remove that bolt?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you GTA R and Alfajay,

My issue is the end nut seems ceased, and I don’t know how to lock the camshaft to avoid damaging it in the clamping device. Any idea how I should proceed?

Ludo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

I still haven't been able to remove the gears on my standard camshaft, but the good news is I don't need to anymore. I found a local mechanic I thought who could help me removing it, and had a pair of spare gears. So I got these and it means I can keep the std camshafts with the gears and correct timing in case I want the engine back to standard. Sometimes an issue leads to a better than expected solution

Best regards

Ludo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts