Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the head off my 2.0 GTV. On top of each piston is the number 011 and an arrow toward the driver's side.Anyone know what this means? Are these stock pistons?

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
Dunno what the "011" means, but the arrow told the engine assembler how to orient the pistons. 2L Alfas have offset pins, so the pistons have to go in the right way. The arrow needs to point in the direction of the gas flow: from the intake (e.g., passenger) side to the exhaust (e.g., driver) side. Sounds like your's was assembled correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm stumped. My '73 2.0 had a persistent rattle, starting at 3000 RPM. As the engine warmed, the rattle started at higher rpm's, and continued into the upper range. It got louder over the past year. A mechanic said it was a piston pin. I have disassembled the motor and it shows almost no wear in the cylinders or bearings. The pistons move freely on their bushings, and I can't detect any play at all by hand. What else could it be? Could it be a timing chain? There's no visible damage, and the tensioner had the upper chain tight.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
What’s the history of the engine? ir may be piston slap, where rocking of the piston makes a clack or slap sound. You need to be able to measure the bore and piston to check this.

A loose wrist pin can be diagnosed with the engine running when you hear the rattle, pull a spark plug wire. This unloads the piston and should make the noise go away or almost go away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thanks! I don't know the history, but you may be right on. The skirt on the #2 piston has a significant scuff mark on one side. I plan to install high compression pistons and new bushings, and it would be nice to know the source of the noise before I put it back together and in the car.
Thanks
Reed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts