Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hi mate I use Penrite 20w 40 and if the bolt is not being hit by anything it should be fine. Regards John

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks for all the help guys... started and backed the car out of the garage today.

A couple more new parts to clean things up a little but by and large, job done.

So far so good.

Bonnet optional! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Just when I thought I was done, took the car to get it's registration pink slip and it failed the brake test...

The hard brake test must have been the straw that broke the camel's back as I'm sure it wasn't leaking prior. Turns out there's a hole in the brake line!! Not good for stopping power!!

Joined a new piece of brake line in there for now... was probably the best time discover!! Got to learn something new too!!

Anyway, hopefully that's it for now!!

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wow where would you be without the test(in someones boot/trunk):surprise:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just finished reading this, start to finish. Quite the intrepid lad(?) ajt-watching!!! Congrats! For a first-time foray into an engine, ya picked a doozy! Can't tell ya how many of those tension adjuster wedges I've discovered down in the oil of Alfa sumps.

A word regarding "loose juice" may be too late for this instance BUT: a fifty-fifty mix of ATF and acetone is better at creeping into recalcitrant nuts/bolts/studs than about any commercially available brew. Shake well and apply. We've dubbed it "Weasel Piss" around here.
Also, would have mentioned the messy, yet forward-looking thing with the head studs... a THIN coating of Permatex Anti-seize on them makes for a much less troublesome job the next time the head needs removing. An old joke regarding my first Alfa in western Pennsylvania was that I should be buying my head gaskets by the "six pack" as I (impetuous youth) would not warm up the engine before pulling out onto a 50MPH four-lane in winter conditions. Got a lot of 'practice' early! Spent a good portion of my life as a certified wrench later.

Again, a thorough and well done job! Particularly nice to see you cleaned and refinished all the parts, renewed mounts and starter. You are likely the next person who will be working on the car, nice to have a clean, neat area to work in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Just finished reading this, start to finish. Quite the intrepid lad(?) ajt-watching!!! Congrats! For a first-time foray into an engine, ya picked a doozy! Can't tell ya how many of those tension adjuster wedges I've discovered down in the oil of Alfa sumps.

A word regarding "loose juice" may be too late for this instance BUT: a fifty-fifty mix of ATF and acetone is better at creeping into recalcitrant nuts/bolts/studs than about any commercially available brew. Shake well and apply. We've dubbed it "Weasel Piss" around here.
Also, would have mentioned the messy, yet forward-looking thing with the head studs... a THIN coating of Permatex Anti-seize on them makes for a much less troublesome job the next time the head needs removing. An old joke regarding my first Alfa in western Pennsylvania was that I should be buying my head gaskets by the "six pack" as I (impetuous youth) would not warm up the engine before pulling out onto a 50MPH four-lane in winter conditions. Got a lot of 'practice' early! Spent a good portion of my life as a certified wrench later.

Again, a thorough and well done job! Particularly nice to see you cleaned and refinished all the parts, renewed mounts and starter. You are likely the next person who will be working on the car, nice to have a clean, neat area to work in.
Thanks for your message, and the time to read my thread! Yes, my first adventure under the hood, but a thoroughly enjoyable one. Appreciate the feedback and encouragement.

It was a great time to get my hands dirty, learn something new and spend time with my father... on top of saving some money and a total sense of accomplishment.

Of course I need to thank all who contributed and provided advice along the way, much appreciated to this forum and the community who frequent it.

What will I do next??!! ;)

61 - 67 of 67 Posts