Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Shop Pressing On & Off The Rear Wheel Bearings In My '74 Spider Lost The Spacers That Go Between The Bearings & Axle Flanges. I Put A Post In The "wanted" Section For These With No Response. If Anyone Has An Extra Pair Let Me Know. Otherwise, If I Could At Least Get The Dimensions (thickness) That Would Help In Having Some Made. I Could Guesstimate But The Proper Number Would Be Helpfull.

-John

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
I might have some off a car, I'll check. One side is chamfered on the inside diameter to make room for the small radius at the axle/flange junction.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
47.06 x 35.21 x 5 mm If you can't find any they should be easy to make or have made. Send the shop the bill:)

·
Richard Jemison
7,071 Posts
Spacers

If you are refering to spacers to hold the bearing in the axle housing to close up excess depth in the bore, (that allows side movement of the bearing and axle when the retaining plate is tight) then the common solution is to use a syncronizer retainer "snap ring" from any
Alfa transmission.

They can be opened and installed outside the bearing to positively lock the bearing race in the housing.
Just be sure they are inside the bearing bore when you lock down the retainer.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gigem75,

Thanks For The Info, I'll Have Some Made.

RJ,

These Are Spacers That Set The Installed Bearing Back On The Axle Shaft In Order For The Backing Plate/Emergency Brake Hardware To Clear The Rotating Axle flange (see attached). Up To This Latest Axle (from an '85 spider) I Had Never Seen These Spacers Before And Didn't Realize They Were Missing Until I Noticed The E Brake Hardware Was Interfering With The Rotating Axle Flange. So I Did Some Research Here On The BB And Found The Attached Diagram. I Cut Off The New Bearings & Collars And I'm Now Ready To Install Another Set Of New Bearings & Collars(!) Once I Get The Spacers. On The Positive Side I Learned Something New About These Cars.

-John

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts