Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Berlina has been acting funny lately. It's been hard to get it into gear without completely grinding the hell out of them. It's pretty embarassing when you are trying to sell it and the person looking/driving it can't shift the gears. Anyhoo...this is how you fix it (forgive me if you all know how to do this):

If you open the hood and looks for the brake master cylinder, mounted on the left of it is the clutch fluid resevoir and clutch cylinder thingy(?). If you look toward the firewall you will see a locknut with a pushrod that goes to a piston the pushes the fluid that actuates the clutch disengagement lever.

To adjust the engagement/disengagement loosen the locknut and rotate the pushrod (it's threaded) in the appropriate direction. When done lock the locknut down again and bingo! Your clutch will engage/disengage correctly again.

Now keep in mind that this whole system, at least on my Berlina, is a self adjusting mechanism so this process maybe just treating a symptom and not the actual cause of the problem.

I'm just learning all this stuff so when I am able to fix even the simplest stupid thing I'm excited. I'm a dork.

Happy Merry Easter and all that stuff!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
magista said:
I'm just learning all this stuff so when I am able to fix even the simplest stupid thing I'm excited. I'm a dork.
Damian,

I am also a member of this club. Being easily amused affords me the simplest pleasures in life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So...as I suspected this solution was only treating the symptom not the root cause.

On my way back from Olympia sunday night I began to hear a scraping sound coming from the clutch area. Ugh. When I got home I popped the hood took a gander at where the tranny bellhousing meets the motor.

I found that the bellhousing was pulling away from the motor. You could begin to see inside. This was causing the clutch plate to be misaligned and scrape on the other plate on disengagement. Argh!

I found that many of the nuts and bolts that hold the bellhousing tight were missing. Some barbarian either didn't bother to replace them or didn't tighten them enough. This goes for the studs as well. I went and bought some 8mm bolts and replaced the ones I could get at easily but I still have more to do.

So there you go...
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top