Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,668 Posts
The guy who did mine asked me not to post pictures!

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
No need to be embarrassed! I'll show mine....

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Inlet manifold from 1988 75 1.8 , different design , manifold doesn't have to come off to replace rubbers, which are bigger.
Trying to sell engine at the moment but if it turns out to be worthless would like to see if it works on 1980's Nuovo Giulietta 2.0 motor I am putting in Junior, will need to be modified for throttle linkage, but unsure about anything else, the 75 head casting is a little different around the thermostat mounting so earlier 105 manifold won't fit without a bit of grinding, this manifold seems to fit fine on another Nuovo Giulietta 1.8 head which does take earlier 105 manifold so if anyone has does this would like to hear.
I think that manifold will fit the Bosch heads here in the U.S.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hi

Re Ed and Gordon's comments...

Actually it never occurred to me to not post the modification for two reasons. Firstly, the modification reasons are well known so no great secrets involved. And secondly, the modification is so primitive I don't think anyone would copy it.....or am I mistaken?

Richard

·
Premium Member
13,668 Posts
The way Jim Steck did my head was anything but primitive. The intake manifold is a 1600 Euro (drop in stat) and the stud holes are elongated so that the small manifold port can be matched to the head. He does all of his work with a CNC mill.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Ken asked me to post this, stamped 3, 40mm bore on card side with 45mm chamfer, head side 38x49, seems this intake has been mentioned in or around post 13 in this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
1975 1600 GTj Manifold

This manifold is from my 1975 1600 GTj. It has 40 mm inlet and 33 mm outlet (head side). Casting mark is an inverted 12 and the @ symbol plus a 6 pointed star seen in 3rd photo.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Well done Ken

Lots of different inlet manifolds.

When I find time,,I will have a look at my 30 + inlet manifolds,,mainly 105 and Alfetta and catalogue them.
I have sent many overseas,,,,mainly to the USA,,,,and had no problems with the purchasers.
Will go back and start at the beginning of this great thread and get happy researching your research.

Glad we never got that Spica induction here.
Only Carbys

I have converted many Spica American cars to RHD and carbys.
And don't forget to change the exhaust manifolds and engine pipes to the 4 to 2 to 1 euro standard system for better exhaust flow and performance,or just fit a set of extractors.

Thanks heaps

Robert
Sydney Australia

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I have another early screw in manifold said to be from a 65 Sprint GT. I think it varies slightly from others posted.

It has an inverted "3" and some other indiscernible marks between ports 2 & 3 and no hole beside port 1 and stamped "4". Ports are still rough cast, carb side port 45 mm chamfered down to port size of about 38mm (varies port to port). Head side is 36-37 mm horizontal and 48 mm vertical.

DSCN8710.JPG
DSCN8711.JPG
DSCN8712.JPG
DSCN8713.JPG
DSCN8714.JPG

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

This manifold came mated to a single plug 1600 head with GTA valves and was with a 1750 based MONO sleeve block. Intake port is, carb side is 45 mm and tube extension head side is 32 mm. Note welded on aircraft type hose connections, blocked ports and the grub screws holding the sleeves. The head has reduced ports machined to match the manifold's tube extensions.
DSCN8715.JPG
DSCN8716.JPG
DSCN8717.JPG
DSCN8718.JPG
DSCN8719.JPG
DSCN8720.JPG
DSCN8721 (2).JPG

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Are the allen screws in the bottom of the ports for screwing the manometer adapters for balancing the air flow?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Are the allen screws in the bottom of the ports for screwing the manometer adapters for balancing the air flow?
No Jim, they are grub screws holding or helping to hold the sleeves in the manifold.

ken

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Ken, we built manifolds just like that at Ausca. At one time, we had full length sleeves into the valve bowls. Tech did not like that because we were choking those runners at different distances from the valve bowl. Choke position was changed for different tracks. These were the sand cast, large port heads. Then we fit fixed different length choke tubes into the ports held in place with manifolds as you pictured. Tech did not like that either. We then went to epoxied in raised tapered tubes in the head with matched choked tubes grub screwed into the manifolds, ending flush with the head manifold flange, nothing protruding from the manifold, and that was tech Ok. Changing the tubes on an installed manifold required removing the Webers, and it was a lot of wrench work. The small port die-cast GTA heads were much better, and this sort of thing faded away a bit until we tried dry manifolds with coolant running through the head casting plugs, and tech said "The manifold must be removable." as we tried the long tubes again.
There must be a bunch of that stuff still out there as Ausca modified a lot of manifolds and heads. Don't remember the AE fittings on the manifold as pictured.
Some of this may be incorrect as memories can fade in 50-55 years.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts