Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Well if that was the symbol matching that for a 1300 head I might agree. Its not.

What is the horizontal diameter of the manifold's head side and does that suit a the stock 1300 head port dimension. Can you post the other markings as I have done at the thread starter post.

Thx

ken
Lubrimont sold it to me and Dean Russell confirmed the marking be right for my ex-GT Jr. ..... I'm only going what they sold and confirmed .....head side is between 38-39mm using my measuring devices. Dean volunteered the info without prompting him when I was in search of one and being in Detroit he should know as they've trickled past him over the bridge. My '72 Super 1.3 doesn't have it on there. Don't have a head

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Lubrimont sold it to me and Dean Russell confirmed the marking be right for my ex-GT Jr. ..... I'm only going what they sold and confirmed .....head side is between 38-39mm using my measuring devices. Dean volunteered the info without prompting him when I was in search of one and being in Detroit he should know as they've trickled past him over the bridge. My '72 Super 1.3 doesn't have it on there. Don't have a head
38 -39 mm seems like to big for a 1300. You can see on post 1 a much smaller one which is more likely for a 1300.

k

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Sorry , Ken the straight edge wasn't an accurate device. calipers --33+mm..... Here are the rest of the photos. I don't have any knowledge of the subject but trust my sources. Lubimont and Dedan know heir stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi
I like also to put pictures of my Manifolds:
1. Mark with n. 11. : inn with cab: 40mm and out 36mm for motor 2000

2. ------------- 8 :------------------------------------------------------------

Hans J.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
This is fantastic information, I have a 67 giulia super with a 2 liter, I used the 1600 intake, webers, and plenium to give the appearance of a 1600, even with the webers properly choked and jetted 40dcoe/32 there is stumbling on take off, so the intakes from 1600 to a correct euro 2 liter intake for webers are different. I will be swapping them this week and let you know how it runs.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This is fantastic information, I have a 67 giulia super with a 2 liter, I used the 1600 intake, webers, and plenum to give the appearance of a 1600, even with the webers properly choked and jetted 40dcoe/32 there is stumbling on take off, so the intakes from 1600 to a correct euro 2 liter intake for webers are different. I will be swapping them this week and let you know how it runs.
Thanks for finding this thread useful.

Stumbling on takeoff could well be a carb issue and not the manifold. Lots of people are using the 1600 manifolds on the bigger engines with success. Manifold wise I would just make sure the manifold outlet is not bigger than the head port (which is unlikely) and that all the gaskets are placed correctly.

Post your stumbling question in its own thread to get expert advise from the likes of Gordon Raymond.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
My top-to-bottom modified 2 liter uses a early manifold with threaded thermostat. It is however ported to match 45mm carbs. A stumble coming in at take-off is most likely a carb problem.

Incidentally, my 1300 '72 Super was very original and came equipped with an old-fashioned threaded thermostat manifold.

·
Registered
841 Posts
This is fantastic information, I have a 67 giulia super with a 2 liter, I used the 1600 intake, webers, and plenium to give the appearance of a 1600, even with the webers properly choked and jetted 40dcoe/32 there is stumbling on take off, so the intakes from 1600 to a correct euro 2 liter intake for webers are different. I will be swapping them this week and let you know how it runs.
Tell us what idle jets you used please and we may be able to help.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks guys, I just put some new cams in, yes its probably the carbs, I started with 60 F8's and worked my way down, 55, 50, 45 , the stumbling went down on take off but the carbs are "sneezing" at low rpms..

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thanks guys, I just put some new cams in, yes its probably the carbs, I started with 60 F8's and worked my way down, 55, 50, 45 , the stumbling went down on take off but the carbs are "sneezing" at low rpms..
If you're still on 45 F8's then there's no wonder the carbs are sneezing and stumbling. You should be on at least 50 F8's, or some engines seem to like 55F8's better. 60F8's are way too big.
If your engine is stock, then either of those two idle jets would do the trick.
That's all provided that :-

a). Your ignition timing is correct
b). Your accelerator pump jets aren't clogged.
Remember, every time you change the idle jets, you have to re-adjust the airscrews.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
556 Posts
Inlet manifold from 1988 75 1.8 , different design , manifold doesn't have to come off to replace rubbers, which are bigger.
Trying to sell engine at the moment but if it turns out to be worthless would like to see if it works on 1980's Nuovo Giulietta 2.0 motor I am putting in Junior, will need to be modified for throttle linkage, but unsure about anything else, the 75 head casting is a little different around the thermostat mounting so earlier 105 manifold won't fit without a bit of grinding, this manifold seems to fit fine on another Nuovo Giulietta 1.8 head which does take earlier 105 manifold so if anyone has does this would like to hear.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Inlet manifold from 1988 75 1.8 , different design , manifold doesn't have to come off to replace rubbers, which are bigger.
Trying to sell engine at the moment but if it turns out to be worthless would like to see if it works on 1980's Nuovo Giulietta 2.0 motor I am putting in Junior, will need to be modified for throttle linkage, but unsure about anything else, the 75 head casting is a little different around the thermostat mounting so earlier 105 manifold won't fit without a bit of grinding, this manifold seems to fit fine on another Nuovo Giulietta 1.8 head which does take earlier 105 manifold so if anyone has does this would like to hear.
To make fit that 116 type m/fold on a standard 105 head you need to grind away some alloy material - then it will work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have 3 of these early type manifold, 2x 45 and 1x 40. One of the 45's is a darker color and rougher surface. It also hasn't a tapped hole in no 1 port and looks like some is welded and afterwards stamped with a 6 in both Ken's circled greens. In the middle part it is stamped with a B. What kind is this? Seems lighter than the others I have, was there a difference in the materials used?

John thanks for posting here.

My #3 Stamped manifold has a head side port measurement of 38mm X 49mm so maybe (#10502.01.060.01 & #10532.01.060.00).

My manifold does not have the tapped hole into #1 port as does yours. It also has a number 1 stamped in the area circled in green. Picture is of your manifold. My #3 manifold also has some over stamping in the area of the #3 stamp.

BTW: I am not claiming my stamped #3 manifold is from GTA. I don't know where it came from. Maybe a Carlisle swap meet years ago.

My GTA 1600 head on 752507 is large port and has a ported matched later style 1600 manifold (casting mark 3, so no screw in elbo at firewall end). 2 other 1600 GTA heads I had, used on top of GTAj engines by Bruce Perry, were sleeved to small port and had matched ported later style 1600 manifolds. But these all would have been later North American mods I suspect as both were raced well into the 1970's.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hi Ken,Gordon, and others

Another manifold question - at least posted in right thread - this came off my TI Super, however it had an engine change in about 1974.

The car now is returned to it's original engine, which has correct TI Super 'fold. Unfortunately no fotos to hand but 45mm carbies fitted.

Stampings etc as in fotos. The height of the modded engine side ports are almost the same as horizontal, ie 37mm. The carb side are 45mm and the manifold has been opened out to about that size. Further stamping appears to be "ZZZ" as shown!

Any ideas of provenance and date?

Thanks and happy New Year to all.

Richard

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
I have seen intake ports lifted to a similar profile.

·
Super Moderator
11,213 Posts
Likewise. The porter is likely "ZZZ" signing his work. It looks nicely done. I've a raised port GTA 45DCOE manifold on an Autodelta small port, single plug 1600 head, sent to Ausca for cam testing. The head casting came to Ausca with the intake ports tiny, and unfinished, as cast. Ron Neal cut the head runners, pre-flow bench, to move the ports up and match the GTA (later small port) manifold to use 45DCOE14's on a single plug dyno cam test engine. When testing was complete, I got the head and manifold.
What you have is a nice example of a porting tuners tricks. My guess is late '60's.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts