Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an "off the shelf" supplier in the US for an exhaust system for the 102 Spider? Faza used to list one, but they are currently unable to supply them. I have the old crusty one to use as a pattern, so I assume a good exhaust shop could make something that would work. However, a "good exhaust shop" isn't always easy to find:rolleyes: so something ready made might be easier (even if it needs the inevitatble tweaking to make it fit perfect).

Thanks,

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair
1961 2000 Spider

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
FYI: The exhaust system on the 2600 is almost identical to the 2000, except for the 2 down-pipes from the exhaust manifold (note the 102 part numbers in 2600 parts catalog).

Häckner in Germany lists 102 and 106 exhaust systems (see here, about 3/4 down the page) but they do not show the 102 exhaust in their eBay store (use German search terms only). You may want to check availability and shipping costs with Lothar Groß ([email protected]).

Talking to Stebro may also be an option -- but probably more expensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
102 Exhaust

Arno:

I don't know of any of-the-shelf suppliers, but some years ago I cut my exhaust system up and sent it to Stebro - at the time they did not have a pattern for the 102. They built a stainless system for me that I have been very happy with - the fit was excellent. Only the straight pipes needed to be cut to length. The bad news, as Ruedi points out, is the expense. I just checked the Stebro site - looks like they want $ 1,250.

http://www.stebro.com/html/Default.aspx?PageMenuID=1273

·
Registered
414 Posts
Al Cosentino @ FAZA

Al Cosentino owner & proprietor of FAZA in Thousand Oaks, CA sells the best in OEM spec exhaust. I have his stuff on nearly all my cars now, and certainly on both my 102 spider and 106 sprint. He's definitely a little quirky (but then aren't most Italian car folks?);). He usually has the right stuff in stock. Hardest part is that he doesn't accept credit cards, so you have to deal with bank checks or money orders. The products he sells are the real thing though, and put the stuff the others sell to shame.
The last time I dealt with him he was at (818) 707 2301, but that was a couple of years ago so not sure if that number is still good.
My opinion is that, especially for 102/106 stuff, he is the best source.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Oops!

Does anyone know of an "off the shelf" supplier in the US for an exhaust system for the 102 Spider? Faza used to list one, but they are currently unable to supply them. I have the old crusty one to use as a pattern, so I assume a good exhaust shop could make something that would work. However, a "good exhaust shop" isn't always easy to find:rolleyes: so something ready made might be easier (even if it needs the inevitatble tweaking to make it fit perfect).

Thanks,

Arno Leskinen
1961 2000 Spider
Sorry, somehow I missed your original reference to FAZA, so sorry for the rerun.:eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
A related question for this thread:

Where's a good place to send my 102 Spider exhaust manifold to have it ceramic coated or "Jet coated". What is the correct color?

Thanks, Stu

·
Registered
414 Posts
A related question for this thread:

Where's a good place to send my 102 Spider exhaust manifold to have it ceramic coated or "Jet coated". What is the correct color?

Thanks, Stu
Both 102s and both 106s I've owned have had uncoated cast iron headers, so asking for a correct color is like asking whether you carry your lunch or ride the bus to school.:rolleyes:
Might look cool, but I don't think they left the factory coated with anything (your question leads me to infer you are concerned with original correctness.)

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
I too believe they were uncoated (or maybe just had some insignificant paint on it that burned off over time). However, I am in favor of ceramic coating (for thermal reasons) and would choose a medium gray or charcoal tone. I'll get mine done by a local shop with a reasonably good reputation.

In case correctness matters, the exhaust manifold should be covered by a heat shield that may contain cancer-causing asbestos.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the headers on my 102 coated by "Jet Hot" (www.jet-hot.com). One of their regional facilities is here in Phoenix so I just dropped mine off and they were done in a couple of days. I think their turnaround is pretty quick even by mail. I did the coating more to preserve the pieces and it also supposedly reduces underhood temps and smooths gas flow (they do the inside and outside). I opted for the "cast iron" color, which looks somewhat like fresh unrusted cast iron. The finish is left rough so it looks more natural.

Another alternative that I have used before on another car is POR-15 high temp coating, again in cast iron grey. You simply clean and degrease the part, brush the stuff on, let it dry and then heat the piece up to cure it (easy to do if the header is installed since you just drive the car). I did it 10 years ago and it still looks good with a minor touch up here and there.

Arno

·
Registered
195 Posts
Faza

Al Cosentino was into lots of interesting areas.
FAZA

They show the 2600 exhaust at this link.
Price was $518 ....

I called the number and left a message.

Somehow I get the feeling the business is no longer operating.
Hope I am wrong.

BT

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Probably been close to ten years since I spoke with Al. He was no spring chicken then, so the chances are good that he's no longer selling his good quality exhaust systems. He was always fun to deal with, in an eccentric way, and always delivered excellent goods. In my last order he just threw a nicely printed and bound book about California Ferraris he wrote in the box along with the usual reams of flyers and brochures. Quite a guy, and the Alfa and Fiat community won't be as interesting if he's no longer one of the cast of characters.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Al Cosentino passed away recently (see this thread).

·
Registered
195 Posts
I believe that one's soul turns into a spirit when the physical body stops. Hi Al. Just want you to know, that I too, enjoyed the esoteric catalogs ya put together. I have one here ... somewhere. In the post that Ruedi supplied ...

Velocedoc inquired, "Did someone buy his exhaust system business or is it still in the family? The sound they made was a nice soft roar." I too, am curious, about the status of this impressive enterprise, built by ... one inimitable man.

·
Registered
195 Posts
2600 Spider exhaust

Stebro not looking too promising ...
Real bad deal with Stebro exhaust - Lamborghini Forum
Stebro exhaust beware - Topic
plus they do NOT even have any contact info on their web site !
Contact Stebro Exhaust - Stebro Exhaust | Hand-Crafted Performance Exhaust

Looking more promising is Haeckner:
178E for front exhaust
166E for middle exhaust
122E for outlet with resonator
They also have the copper gasket with three hole mount, the sealing ring and the rectangular rubber hangers at the rear.
They did not mention bolts or the circular rubber insulators at the transmission.
Waiting to hear from them about sea freight.

AlfaStop:
380 Euro for steel
860 Euro for stainless
http://www.alfastop.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdSrch.cgi?mode=user&search_text=106.01.30.002.01&Submit=Search

Thanks to Tubut for the scan of the parts catalog. Question... Item #1 for the Spider is PN 106.01.30.002.01
This is designated "Pipe, front, with baffle and muffler"
So ... does this # designate
a) just the downpipe (unlikely)
b) the downpipe with the first resonator
c) the downpipe with the resonator and the muffler
???

·
Push hard and live
10,175 Posts
I've already posted my experience with Stebro. What continues to gall me is that Dan periodically tries to get my negative review at the BBB reversed, which requires me to reiterate my experience. PITA. In the most recent round of this about 3 months ago he claimed that he had refunded my money. I simply responded to the BBB by suggesting that ask for proof. It's been quiet since then.

·
Registered
435 Posts

Thanks,

Arno Leskinen
1961 2000 Spider
Arno, I purchased one from Alfaretro for my 2600 ,it looks like some of the numbers are 102 numbers so it would work, received it very quickly, price was ok,looked just like the one in the book ,I can send a picture if you wish .

Mike V

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Question... Item #1 for the Spider is PN 106.01.30.002.01
This is designated "Pipe, front, with baffle and muffler"
So ... does this # designate
a) just the downpipe (unlikely)
b) the downpipe with the first resonator
c) the downpipe with the resonator and the muffler
???
The first section included the two downpipes from the exhaust manifold, the Y-connector and the first, small muffler or resonator. This first segment is different for Sprint/Spider because the wheelbase of the Sprint is 80mm longer and therefore a longer exhaust pipe is needed. The second piece is the big muffler with an elbow at the end, and the third piece is the rear muffler with bend that goes over the rear axle and the chromed tail pipe that sticks pout the back.

I never dealt with these items directly, so I think it's best to check with the suppliers what exactly it is they deliver.

·
Registered
195 Posts
hmmm ... I wonder
they may have referred to the first resonator as a baffle and might have offered the entire assembly (pipe, baffle and muffler) as one part under this number ... unlike current practice with everyone who sells these systems now ...

It is all academic ...
I will ask AFRA just for fun

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Hi All,

I am going to make reproductions of the original exhaust from 2000 and 2600 spider

in stainless steel

I have some original 102 and 106 to copy

does someone have interest ?

rgds Franco

1 - 20 of 24 Posts