Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe these to be front bumper mounts for a 102 2000 Spider.
For Sale.
PM with reasonable offer.
Thanks.
IMG_2584.jpg

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a broken off bolt in the right hand mount on the picture, so I believe I have either a) one each of left and right mounts for front bumper or b) left and right rear bumper mounts.
thanks to Joe for the help on this!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Hi all,

I cannot tell which these are but the angles for the front mount ( 2x2 sets )of the 2000 touring front bumber parts (L&R ) the angles are also different............

rgds Franco

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Maybe this is just trivia, but my Parts Manual lists three bracket part numbers: right-hand (102.04.59.254.00, 2 required) and left-hand (102.04.59.255.00, 2 required) for the front, and one part number for the rear (102.04.59.253.00, two required). The single part number for the rear brackets implies that, for them to be interchangeable right to left, the tube section of the brackets must be perpendicular to the flat section (90 degree angle). Since the mounting posts extend straight out from the back of the car and the bumper and mounting angle is curved, this is not possible.

I removed six brackets from the car, and all of them (front and back) have the same angle. My conclusion, is that the right-front brackets are the same as the left-rear bracket, and the left-front brackets are the same as the right-rear. Why did Alfa use a separate part number for the rear bracket? Interesting question.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Hi Franco,

I took a closer look at my brackets and bumper today. The brackets are all at approximately 78 degrees and do not appear to be overly molested, but the bumper I am not so sure. It has been damaged in the center which may have resulted in a straighter. less rounded contour, and possibly leads me to the wrong conclusion. What angles are your brackets?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Steve, you might be overthinking this issue.

Based on my experience with 106 cars, I don't think these bumper brackets were made with the kind of precision we have become used to in modern cell phones. Things may have been much more crude than that, e.g. that a guy named Luigi or Giuseppe or Pietro just took some roughly made brackets out of a bucket, put a torch to them and made them fit whatever body and the bumpers they had at hand.

Sure, everybody is aware of the myth of Touring manufacturing precision, which may have existed at some point in time for hand-made cars, but 102 and 106 Spiders with their unibody construction certainly were different beasts and had manufacturing tolerances that cannot be accounted for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts