Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I see why places get so much money to rebuild the carburetors! It took a lot of time and effort.

I think I may have assembled part of the carb wrong. The springs pull in the direction of the blue arrows to open the flap as shown in the picture. If this is correct, then I am very confused because the flap is essentially always open???

I am going to buy that expensive fuel hose and oil hose with the wire surround. Can someone confirm that I need 10mm ID for the fuel hoae and 8mm ID for the oil hose.

Also, what length should I get for the oil hose?

Doug

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,655 Posts
Doug,

Although I'm not in the mood to walk the 50 paces to go look, I think you're looking at the choke butterflies. It would be normal for any spring to hold them open, as that is the normal position for operation. The pull cable would close them for starting, and the spring will return them to open when the pull cable is released. When I'm out in the shop next I'll try to remember to double check what I've just told you.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The butterfly on the right does close when I lift the choke cable, but the one on the left does not - Hence my confusion. I must have something wrong.

Doug

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Doug, the front (choke) butterfly valve on the right side of the carb stays open except for starting (mixture and acceleration is handled by the second butterfly valve that is closer to the intake manifold).

One of the peculiarities of the 44 PHH is that the right side of the carb does all the work -- except for full throttle conditions, when the vacuum opens the secondary. So, yes, the left butterfly at the back of the carb should stay closed until opened by the vacuum mechanism.

See pages below from the 2000 Engine Shop Manual on the CarDisc DVD.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I fixed it this morning. I had the left and right springs reversed. The springs should pull the butterfly closed.

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts