Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a used 102 steering box and a new 102 steering box overhaul kit (steering worm and roller). Maybe about 5 years ago there were posts on this forum suggesting: Steering Services, 101 Hamilton Road, Merton London SW19 1JG, +44 (0)20 8540 9756 as a place to get a rebuild done. I am in Los
Angeles and was hoping that there was some place closer that could be recommended for such service. If not, is Steering Services still recommended. Quality work would be primary consideration.

Val
1960 Touring 2000 Spider

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
Val,

The problem with overhauling a 102 steering box is not so much the skill of the technician as it is getting the right parts, and having them be of good quality. All 102 and 106 boxes are known for wearing rough spots in the gears, resulting in sloppy steering and notchy feeling. The rumor I've heard is that the new gear sets from Afra are at least no better, and quite possibly significantly worse. I cannot attest to that one way or another.

Meanwhile, I'm in the midst of trying to make some good boxes out of 4 old boxes that I've accumulated. I have discovered at least two different gear configurations and at least two, and probably three, input shaft OD and worm gear ID diameters.

Meanwhile, I don't know anywhere you can get new bearings, although perhaps someone will speak up. Mine appear usable, so I've not pursued those. Seals can be had locally once you confirm what sizes yours are. Given the challenge to stop the leaks, I would stick with one of the name brand seal manufacturers rather than just order the Chinese stuff via Amazon. National, Chicago Rawhide, BCA, Timken, etc.

If you have nothing better to do, you could come up here to Carson City and bring your stuff, and we'll put all our boxes together at the same time. I've got the tools and am familiar with them. I've got a local powder coater that did my housings, and we could almost certainly turn yours around quickly. I've got at least one box that is probably not going to work out, so it may donate some parts if you need them.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don,

Thanks for the quick reply and insight. I may take you up on your offer if I get some vacation time. But since you mention the possible bearing issue, let me see what I can find out. I had the pleasure of driving my car with a NOS steering box many moons ago and the car handles beautifully.

Val

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
I've got one project ahead of my steering boxes. I expect to be done with it this week, so will read up on the bearings tonight.

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
Val,

I couldn't find any listing for steering box bearings in the sticky. Seals, yes. Bearing, no. If I've misread, please set me straight.

The bearings are not running full time at high speed, so the real problem is if they are broken, galled, or crusty. If they can be cleaned up and roll smoothly enough, they can be put back into service.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Try this company in the UK for parts for the box.
Home - Marles Steering Box
I was just quoted 599 Pounds for the worm and roller, bearings and seal kit for the Gemmer steering box. If you live in the UK expect to pay the dreaded 20% VAT their words not mine, I would have used another word.
John
63 2600 Spider

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Gemmer steering box

Looks impressive not aware of this company in the UK before but they certainly have excellent references.

Are the parts you have quoted - worm and roller , new copies of your existing unit or bought in from Afra?

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
And it should be noted that TST Rettburg has new Alfa/FNM boxes in stock. I like mine just fine, and it was a rebuilt unit. I think the new ones are around 1200 Euros.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts