Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are ready to install the rear springs in our 102. How should the top spacers be placed? When we dismantled the car we found two spacers stacked on one side. (Forgotten which side). Did the factory intend this or was this someone's attempt to level the car? We have tried, all over Dallas, to have the springs checked before installation, but no luck. As we recall, the car leaned somewhat to the left before dis-assembly and we would like to counter this on re-assembly. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Pete and Mark Rowe
Midlothian, Texas

·
Push hard and live
9,616 Posts
The parts book will guide you. Yes, there are two spacers on one side, but I don't recall which. Check the parts book. I think the spacer was intended to compensate for one or more of driver weight, battery weight, or torque. If you don't get your answer from the parts book, lemme know and I'll crawl under my car with a flashlight.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
FYI, there was a discussion of the rear springs and spacers in Don Peterson's resto thread (see here) that could be helpful.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
When I dropped my car's rear suspension recently, I found two spacers on one side as well, and was a bit perplexed by it. I thought that maybe that was an error from the factory. So, I made a note of it and carried on. The double-spacer side I identified as coming from the right side of the car, which seems odd; if one side would get more spacing, I would think it would be on the left side possibly to compensate for the extra weight of the driver. Alfa mystery engineering.

·
Push hard and live
9,616 Posts
rear axle spring spacers

Here's a quick cut n paste.

Spacer goes on the right spring. Interestingly, my car sits very slightly low at the right rear, until I get in, then it's OK. Perhaps the spacer deals with the weight of the battery? I wouldn't bet on any two 102 springs being too much the same, either.

Fully laden, my car rides level.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're going to put two spacers on the right rear spring. Not sure if the factory wanted to compensate for fuel tank, battery, or what? We see the hose pieces indicated for the top and bottom coil on each spring and don't understand the need for these. We don't recall these hose coils on the springs on dis-assembly, but we intend to replace these with some quality hose for whatever reason. Perhaps, someone understands the need for the "rubber insulators"???Thanks to all for the input; nice to have rapid responses to questions that hamper the re-assemble process.

Pete and Mark
Midlothian, Texas

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Perhaps, someone understands the need for the "rubber insulators"???
I think they were used to prevent the springs from squeaking.

·
Push hard and live
9,616 Posts
Now that I think about it, the combination of the original huge battery and the fuel being on the right side is the likely reason for a little boost for the springs.

My rubber hoses on the bottom of the springs were in a sad state of decay. If memory serves (and it frequently does not), I found a note somewhere that led me to a Mitsubishi part intended for the same purpose. Not expensive, and did the trick. I suspect the purpose is anti-squeaking, but perhaps also reduces wear between the spring and the lower pan? I thought about heat shrink tube or other hose, but felt better about finding a product that was actually intended for this exact purpose.

I don't recall which Mitsubishi offered the part, but you might try a early to mid 90's Gallant.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
The Mitsubishi part number is in your resto thread (see here).

·
Push hard and live
9,616 Posts
Excellent. I no longer have to bother remembering anything, as we've got studious contributors to help out. Exxxxxcccccellent (said in the tone of Mr. Burns).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts