Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
102 owners:

I had the full intention of having a hard top for our 58 102 Spider, but we've decided against it recently. In preparation for this work, I bought 2 hard tops, one of which has glass, and a complete set of reproduction rubber seals.

What happened is that somebody came by and showed some interest, convinced me to sell them and then backed out, at which point I had talked myself out of having a hard top... We have a couple of old Alfas that will need attention for the next year or two, so these will end up just sitting around, which seems pointless.

They are located in the SF Bay Area -- PM me if you're interested. Price is really a "make a fair offer" situation, since I don't anticipate getting all our money back on them. One of them was discussed on this thread:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1900-2000-2600-1950-1968/111336-alfa-2000-2600-hardtop-sale.html
The other one was a more expensive ebay find.
Guido

·
Push hard and live
9,596 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Need you to make plexiglass

Don,
If you buy that two liter hardtop with the glass, first determine which of them it actually might be -- small window or large wraparound. If the latter, then let us work together to have plexiglass duplicates made. There are so many who keep asking for the wraparound two liter rear glass. If we had plexiglass duplicates made of them they could be cut down to fit the smaller size openings in two liter tops. I am aware of the two liter top sold in this area as a 2600 top with a 2600 early style non fitting glass (yes, the 2600 has two styles also), but the early 2600 glass does not fit the two liter wraparound even it it looks close. If you do get it, then send pictures. Between the two of us we have to find someone to do duplicates without risking the destruction of a good glass. The factory up here in Seattle that still makes Bayliner replacement windshields has made these specialty shapes for various purposes for me before (one for a 300SL top), doesn't seem to be interested in anything but Bayliner replacement windshields now, perhaps merely selling out old stock. Lots of skills that were once available no longer have new guys to replace to old guys who have retired or died. I am still looking but carefully.l

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There were a number of inquiries when I first posted this, but none came through in the end. If anybody out there is interested in these, please PM me.

We're doing a big refresh / restoration on our 102 spider, and I don't see a use case for the hard tops that will actually work for us, so I'm not going to go to the trouble of fitting the top to the car just for some future-value considerations -- would rather devote our efforts elsewhere.

As far as the details, one is a 102 top off a 1960 car with glass (wrap-around kind) and rubber. The other one seems the same to me, although they are not in the same place, but does not have glass / rubber.

I have more pics that I can send along, of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone -- just my usual, about once-per year bump on this -- if anybody wants a hard top like the ones above, I'd love to move them out of my storage and will accept reasonable offers...

PM me if interested. I'll likely just stick them on ebay in the next month or so.

Guido

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I had a hardtop that had been hanging in the garage ceiling for 16 years. Just prior to an early winter car show, I decided to drop the hardtop back on the car, so it would be a warm and quiet trip to the show.

I had honestly forgotten how good a Two-Liter looks with a hardtop! Seems others liked it as well... it was a freezing cold day too.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts