Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is the first time in the last month that I have not spent the weekend shoveling snow or chipping away ice dams from the roof. It is nice to get back to the car.

My brake and master clutch cyinder insides were in good shape, but the clutch slave cylinder was severly pitted. I could have bought another one for cheap - I think this is the same cylinder used on Astons, Sunbeams and Cobras - but I like going original so I decided to fix my original cylinder.

I got the idea I think from a post from Ruedi, but I cant seem to find that post now. Anyway, I used some telescoping tube and two end reamers. The fit of the new tube in the cylinder was very tight, but I used some Locktite anyway. I knew this was going to cost me about the same as buying one of the expensive cylinders which is really the same as the cheaper one - but now I have the peace of mind that my original cylinder will live on and drive again.

I had the steel bits all nickel plated, and I even plated the brake cylinder so it would not rust up. I did paint the brake cylinder at first, but I stripped that off and plated it.

Doug

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,612 Posts
Doug,

What process do you use to get the gold colored plating?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I answered this a few days ago but it didnt register.

I inly plated the steel bits in nickle. the goldish color you see are the brass and copper bits cleaned up and polished.

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts