Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
I get the "why not?" sentiment, but it applies best to a car that will never be sold. This was clearly one man's dream, but how well it translates into the dreams of prospective buyers remains to be seen.

Certainly a tidy installation. But if I were considering an engine swap in a Bugeye, the 102 2000 would be about the 37th choice on my list.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
your not wrong, and likely this was an old mans car probably done a long time ago, and more than likely at the time the engine choice a "good" one

if i had a bug eye, i dont know what id put in it honestly, the first thing that comes to mind would be a nasty lil rotary, id be more afraid of the stock suspension and brakes so id want to swap ALL that out

·
Push hard and live
9,612 Posts
I’d like to find out the serial number of the engine. Think I’ll pm the seller tomorrow.

·
Push hard and live
9,612 Posts
BTW... I’ve sorted out the components to turn a 102-2000 into an exciting, snarling beast. As soon as the weather improves, I plan to have a slow-rolling start drag race between my 59 2000 and my 77 2000. My money’s on the older car.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The engine probably came from the 102 Spider that was running around here with a TR6 engine.

Should we bet there is a TR6 somewhere with a bugeye engine?

Seriously, they say this was done in the 60's. Back then, these swaps happened out of nothing more than opportunity. Bugeye engine blown, hey I have this rusty Alfa with a good engine in the barn. Years ago, I almost bought a Lotus Elite with a Datsun B210 engine. Happened the same way.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Seriously, they say this was done in the 60's. Back then, these swaps happened out of nothing more than opportunity. Bugeye engine blown, hey I have this rusty Alfa with a good engine in the barn.
Sure. My earlier post was not meant to insult the 102 2000; it was just questioning whether that would be the logical choice to swap into a Bugeye (assuming logic plays any role in these decisions!). Again, if you're never going to sell it (or your widow is going to have to figure it out) then go wild - put in a Hayabusa V8 or Chrysler Hemi or yes, even that 102 2000 gathering dust in the barn.

But if the goal is to build something that makes a bit of sense, perhaps sticking with British lineage would be more logical - say a Lotus Ford

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the prior car, I like the Lotus-colors hood holder-upper. (Or I guess that's "bonnet".)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Here's something you don't see everyday . . .

Not the same one I wanted to buy back around 1984, that one had a 1300 and Datsun 510 rear but looked stock.
One that got away, I always wonder if it is still around.
If 1300's were still cheap and plentiful as they were in the 80's.............

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
And the "golden shoehorn" award goes to the MGB with the ??? stuffed under the hood.

What is that? It doesn't look fun to work on!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Sure. My earlier post was not meant to insult the 102 2000; it was just questioning whether that would be the logical choice to swap into a Bugeye (assuming logic plays any role in these decisions!). Again, if you're never going to sell it (or your widow is going to have to figure it out) then go wild - put in a Hayabusa V8 or Chrysler Hemi or yes, even that 102 2000 gathering dust in the barn.

But if the goal is to build something that makes a bit of sense, perhaps sticking with British lineage would be more logical - say a Lotus Ford
in my case it was the lloyd that was sitting collecting dust in someones barn..just try n find parts for it

that was/is the EXACT logic that went into my lloyd(see it in engine conversions), initialy i was going to try and keep the body stock..but being a TINY car this couldnt happen if i wanted more brakes to go with the rear engine rwd setup from the front of a turbo dodge minivan(think daytona setup) a custom narrowed rack was going to be 2500+, the projects chassis got scraped when a running milano was about to get hauled off(friend of a friend couldnt get it sold) and it fell into my lap for free, at this point the lloyds more alfa than lloyd

trust me i eyeballed my 354 hemi in the corner but i wanted something that made sense with parts availibility and would be 110% pure fun

to the rest of those shoehorns....i pride myself on "workability" in the fact i can still get into things and work on them..some of those look like it would be easier to remove the whole thing to change a single plug.....tho i admire a good fit

1 - 20 of 26 Posts