Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all the years that i've been interested in Alfa Romeo cars, I've seen examples of almost all of them right here in Australia. I think we've done quite well here to have most of the marque represented considering the patchy history of the importation of the brand over the last five decades.

However, I have only ever seen ONE example of either a 102 or 106 series (that is, 2000 or 2600) Alfa Romeo Berlina. That car was, or probably still is rotting away in the wrecking yard at Milano Spares in Thomastown in Victoria.

As we all know the early 2000's had the twin cam four that was carried over from the 1900 and the 2600 the more fitting straight six that we know from the 2600 Sprint and Spider. The book "Alfa Romeo Downunder" states that "...the Berlinas were imported in small numbers from 1962 to 1967..." and I just cant believe that i've never seen one other than the VERY down at heel example in Melbourne. Surely, there must be more of them?

Are there any details of how many came here, where they are or photographs out there?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Never seen one. RHD versions of these cars and 2000/2600 sprints are rare to begin with though, as they had to be converted in the UK rather than factory jobs.

Is/was the one at Milano a 2000 or 2600?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never seen one. RHD versions of these cars and 2000/2600 sprints are rare to begin with though, as they had to be converted in the UK rather than factory jobs.

Is/was the one at Milano a 2000 or 2600?
I dont know. Unfortunately at the time, wasn't interested enough to go and have a thorough look at it. I dare to say it was probably a 2600, given that the cars that came here, came after 1962.

The rarity of the car is assured - even here on the BB its nearly impossible to find a picture of one.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
All the the other 102 and 106 berlinas in New Zealand and Australia have probably rotted away. In the US, there are only a handful of 2600 berlinas and one 102 berlina known to exist. There are a handful more of each known in Europe. I don't believe there are more than 10 102 berlinas and 20 106s berlinas known left in the whole world. The 102 sprint is as rare, with less than 10 known worldwide.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is unbelievable. That a whole model can almost vanish because of rust - there cant be TOO many models in the world that have suffered that fate! Its a sad thing, because like most Alfa Romeos they were something different to their contemporaries.

Not the best looking Alfa Romeo, but the kind of quirky that I like!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I thought it would be odd that not a single car survived.

I wonder how the car is in 2007?

Thanks for the link Beatle, I thought you'd dissapeared from around here!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'll hazard a guess that there are a few Berlinas left around the place in sheds. Because they would only catch the eye of a knowledgeable Alfisti they could remain hidden without too much trouble. Coupes and spiders will always have a better survival rate than sedans in just about any marque, but sedans are probably more likely to be bought for relatively practical purposes by non-brand-fanatics and this too means they can remain undisturbed in peoples 'barns'. Mind you, the price of a 102/106 Berlina must have been horrific compared to the local product.

However, the export sales figues of the 102/106 sedans mean they ahave the potential to become rarer than the 8C2900s. Maybe even rarer than the Alfa Six (Alfa Sei) :eek:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Moreover, I think that the fate of many 2600 Berlinas might have been sealed by breaking down, and then the cost of potential repairs vs the car's value forcing the owner to 'lay it up'... ...for a while.

So, if anyone comes across a 106 Berlina just let me know.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've been wondering for a couple of years what happened to Phil Storr's 2600 projects. From memory the Sprint got to undercoat stage and the Berlina was almost running... and he kind of dropped of the web? One of you SA guys should know?

The amount of work that went into that Sprint brings tears to your eyes, and the guy that did the repairs is just a legend!

I've never come across any info about 102's in Australia. I wonder if any made it out here at all?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have my doubts about the 102s making it here, but the book says that they did.

The funny thing is that as close-knit as the Aussie Alfa Romeo circles are, nobody knows anything about them!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well I guess David Wright would know Ben. It will be interesting to see if any come out of the woodwork in years to come.

I'm fantasizing I know, but I reckon there must be more of the pre Lightburn/Mildren era Alfa's out there. They would always be very rare cars out here, and only a certain mentality could crush them or watch them rust into oblivion. Then again.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts