Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ciao!

Do same one now if it is the same housing in the rear axel on 102 and 106.

Fore the 102 cars the part number is 102.00.17.010.03. Is it the same wiyh discbrakes on 106?

Regards

Per

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
According to the parts catalog, there were 2 types of 106 rear axle: Those with 102 numbers and those with 106 numbers, which are listed as being available "on request" (see relevant pages of the parts catalog below), which may or may not have been together with the 10/41 differential. So, it seems the rear axles as a whole may be the same (102.00.17.010.03 is also listed for 106 cars and I have a hunch this type of axle was delivered with the majority of cars) or at least interchangeable but I don't know what the differences are or to what degree 106 components can be mixed and matched with 102 components.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ciao Ruedi!

Thanks fore the parts list from 2600.

What I can understand the houising for the Berlinas 8/41 is the same.

Regards
Per

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
housings all the same, internals not totally

The particular 8/41 2000 Berlina rear end ring gear and pinion is a slower gear set that any other. All other two liter versions use a 9/43 as do many of the 2600. But the 2600 has more horsepower to drive a "taller" rear end (even a 10/41), and those higher ratios are available. Look at the parts chart carefully. But the way the bearing fits on the pinion is also different between 2000 and 2600. I suggest looking at one of the old Glenns Manuals for the difference on how the spacers fit. However, I've interchanged many a rear end (meaning whole rear end) with the regular 9/43 -- bolt off and bolt on, and even just switched "pumpkins". One other concern is that the universal joint specific by part number to a two liter has a larger diameter than the one with specific 2600 part number. While the 2600 universal joint fits okay on 2600 and 2000, to use the two liter universal joint on a 2600 it is necessary to grind down the "x" holding the bearing caps and compress the cork seals a bit on bolting in. Otherwise the universal joints go into a bind, flex poorly, and eventually something breaks -- sometimes the flange on the input shaft. Sad experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts