Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am preparing a 101 series (floor shift) gearbox for my Sprint Veloce and noticed that the 101 gearbox housing has a passage in the casting that is not present in the 105 castings. This passage provides an opening between the inside of the gearbox and out into the bellhousing (see arrow in picture). I am concerned that this passage can lead to oil mist coming out of the gearbox - or worse dirt coming in.

The holes for the selector rods have the usual o-rings.

Can anyone explain the reason for the passage and if it needs to be filled with sealant or modified to avoid oil leaks or dirt coming in?

Thanks!
DM

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Its there so when the o rings start leaking. The oil will drain back into the trans instead of out the bell housing and on to the floor.

·
Richard Jemison
7,394 Posts
The early box`s had long shift rods and an open hole in in the Bell housing for them to protrude. Later trans have shorter shift rods and closed bell housing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its there so when the o rings start leaking. The oil will drain back into the trans instead of out the bell housing and on to the floor.
Thanks Jim for the answer!
Doesn´t seem like a great idea with a "back-up plan" for leaking o-rings with a passage that might lead in clutch dust or dirt. No wonder alfa changed the design with the 105 series gearboxes.

Best /DM

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The early box`s had long shift rods and an open hole in in the Bell housing for them to protrude. Later trans have shorter shift rods and closed bell housing.
Thanks RJ!
Yeah, the post 74 designs are definitely better to avoid oil leaks from poor o-rings, and I am thinking of shortening the shift rods and plugging the ends of the shift rod holes in a similar fashion. For sure I will seal the passage.

Best /DM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts