Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I am in the process of having my 1600 engine overhauled. All parts seem to be available apart from the camshafts. The shafts that were in my engine are 101 2103 20000 (= 1600 veloce). This type of camshafts seem to be difficult to get here in Germany.

Questions:
1. Where can I get new or good second hand 101 2103 20000 camshafts?
2. Is there a 105 type camshaft that is very close to the type I had in my engine?

Thanks very much for your comments.

Regards
Klaus

·
Registered
561 Posts
I am pretty sure I have a pair of these in good condition. I will check tonight and PM you if I do.

However, there are bettter camshafts profiles one can buy now. This profile design is old fashioned.

I am just about to rebuild a 1600 GTV engine. My recommendation will be to either use modern profiles, or a 105480320001 inlet and 105200320000 exhaust (if he wants to retain standard profile cams.

·
Super Moderator
11,685 Posts
Luke is correct. The 101 1600 Veloce engine as originally assembled had a large port head, only slightly updated from the 101-1300 head. These develop cracks in the combustion chambers running from the spark plug hole to the edge of the exhaust valve seat. Eventually these cracks penetrated to the water jacket. Alfa never did have an official "recall", but at dealer discression, many of these heads were replaced with "new" 105 casting number heads. This replacement was a small port head for smoother idle and better low end torque, and had casting improvements designed to do away with the chamber cracks. A '65 101-1600 Spider Veloce would then be correct, fitted with the 105 (no front lug) head, as would earlier variations. Along with the 105 head, came better cams for this small port head to again offer a smoother idle, and better low speed torque.
The old 101-1600 Veloce cams have nothing to offer as compared to later 105 variations.
The above is only my opinion from my own experience with these engines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Luke and Gordon,

you might have gessed but my engine has an earliy 105 head (without the 2 ears at the front to hold the cam cover down) already. So one of the former owners might have kept the 101 veloce cams.
As you mentioned I will try to get a pair of 105 cams of the type Luke suggested.
By the way my car is a 1963 Sprint but had been updated with twin Webers in the 70ies.
Thanks and Kind Regards
Klaus

·
Super Moderator
11,685 Posts
The head is updated, so with modern (or more current Alfa cams) the engine should run quite well.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
I have used the type cams recomended by clayton with great results !
Also, per an expert here on the BB, the valve lash was closed a few thousands of an inch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts