Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
191 Spider top frame

richs,

What model year 101 Spider does your frame fit?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a long wheel base, so any 101 spider. If you have a 750, it is not the right frame as the 750 is shorter. -Rich

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
It looks to be a one-tube frame; is that correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure what a one tube frame is or means. This fits a 101 spider. I am not aware of multiple versions for 101's. What model are you trying to fit this on? -Rich

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
richs,

The frame you have looks fantastic. However, the '64-'65 Giulia Spiders require a twin-tube frame as seen below in a photo I "borrowed" from GTD in which you can see the two parallel, horizontally-running tubes that attach to the rear panel area of the Spiders.

From what I have read on the BB, the single-tube frames require significant "engineering" to work in these cars, which is too bad.

Someone will really be glad to get yours, for sure!

Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not entirely sure you are correct. This top is longer than my '59 750 top. I understand this fits all 101 spiders. Was there a latter model change?

·
Super Moderator
12,040 Posts
Not a car model change, but the top frame was changed on the last of the 101's. Alfa tried to make it less a finger pincher than the one tube 101 frame. So somewhere in production of the 101 1600 cars, a soft top frame variation including red lifting handles, and black handle locking arms was installed on 64 and 65 101 spiders. Rich's offered frame is a very nicely restored example of the earlier, and more common 101 LWB top frame.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Soft top frame grab handle

Just a short input for the knowledgeable while at the soft top frame subject, would the late (´64-´65) 101 1600 top frame be equipped with a grab handle as in the attached pic?
And the early 1600 and 1300 not?

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gordon, do you know if the earlier frame will mount sae as the later with no mods? Or is it a different mounting? Thanks, Rich

·
Super Moderator
12,040 Posts
WoW! lets see. My 65, owned from new has a middle header grab handle like the one pictured. But I believe my 60 LWB spider had one as well. It was a 101 1300 Veloce. The 1300 had the finger-pincher frame without locking handles or red rear lifting handles like Richs sale frame.
Next, as the chassis are the SAME 101 LWB 1300 and 1600, I suppose either frame could be fitted to either chassis. However, captive nuts and holes for mounting to the chassis may differ between the early and later frame, and it may involve some fitting to use either frame in a chassis other than the one built for the earlier or later frame. I have never tried switching frames around.
There was a 1300 101 top frame that had a so called "high-front-top-bow" for headroom, and, I believe later a 1300 101 top frame with a lower front top bow that was not the same frame as that on the late 1600 cars. Perhaps someone can confirm?

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Just for the sake of discussion, I sent photos of the frame I have to George Dolak who informed me that it was a '59-'61 Giulietta frame.

It has no header grab handle, nor evidence that one was ever attached to it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The metal had been restored and repainted with holes filled. It is trivial to add a grab handle. As we all know, Alfa used parts until they ran out before going to the next version. Maybe the thing to do is look at your internal mounts and see if this will bolt up or not. If not, don't buy it. If you need photos of the ends, I can take them. Let me know. thanks, Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts