Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing both chrome trunk hinges. My ‘61 trunk hinge angles one way or the other; either angles in from the fender, or angles in from the center. The trunk and lid also has a curve to each, so I may be over thinking it, but aesthetically I would think angles in from each fender. Which way are the hinge’s formed curvature placed? I always lose on those simple 50% chance guesses! Thanks. 8AB1BDAB-97E4-4F1F-BE38-10C36CA400C2.jpeg 1D98451E-1F27-4947-B091-1D3AE88C8F92.jpeg 5E0F9E57-3282-4CED-BE35-A7F2EBBC3AB2.jpeg

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While I’m waiting on an answer, I bought these nice studs for the hinges because mine were a bit chewed up. I could only back one out safely, so I gave up and slowly took a die & oil to each to clean them up. Anyway, Belmetrics is a great source for these...and they are selling cheeseheads now too.

If anyone has zero studs on your hinges I have a few, now.

Stay healthy everyone,
Dave 180E04FD-E0A5-4F4D-8D2C-B615037910BD.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Looks right, although the pics are a little indistinct.
The shape of the top hooks follows the sweep of the frame rear hoop.
Joe

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Joe,
That’s the question, the angle of the “sweep” on those hooks. Do they angle back toward each fender side for the rear top bow curve, or toward the middle as that now curves? One side of each hinge is close to 90 degrees. The other angles a certain way.
Sorry about the pics not helping. I thought maybe a wider shot for reference would help, then a zoom in.
I’ve looked at finished cars online, but who knows if those got it right? My top isn’t together yet, but I do have that rear bow accessible. I’ll try that fit on the hooks.

Thanks for responding. Much appreciated. Getting those seals under those hinges right and the chrome angled right just to get the gaps correct has to be all dialed in for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I have looked at several staged photos of chrome hinges; all taken at strange angles and against white back grounds. While these photos may make for good advertising, they just do not show what we need.
We need a couple of really-good quality, straight-down, overhead photos showing correctly-installed hinges on 64-65 Giulia Spiders.
For those souls feeling especially generous and instructive, photos with lines and arrows that highlight the different angles of the hinge portions that receive the bottom part of the soft top frame would be greatly appreciated!

Such photos often produce those wonderful "Ah;ha" moments, that text alone, cannot provide.

Thanks, in advance:)

Ray

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
‘61 to ‘65 Spider shots should work. I’ll stop at the barn on the way home from work and shoot from above too.
Gordon’s hinges may be an original help...hint, hint. Thx

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Joe is spot on, the angle of the sweep inside the hook bit determines which side the hinge fits as at the point of catching the hood / hard top locating plates, they are just starting to take the curve on either side of the body so the "catch" angle of the flat bit inside the hook is also angled either left or right. Same thing on the separate 750 hooks. It's not a huge angle but it is there.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greig,
Ok, so as you’re looking at it from behind, it (the hook) angles right...toward the fender side, correct? That’s how it looked right to me. I think the trunk-mounted part of the hinge that is curved in (angled toward the center) coincides with the hook part angled the right way too.
I’ll get better pics to help others in the future later. Thx from the other side of the infected planet.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Greig,

I was not aware that there are difference inside the hook; I thought it was just the carved-out portion that were different..Got any photos that show these details?

FWIW, Gordon's car may have the hardtop on it, but he might have some older photos that will serve just as well.

Ray

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
It's the flat face inside the hook bit, the face that actually takes the forward pull of either the soft top metal plates on the curved bar or the same 2 curved metal plates on the hard top

Almost impossible to get a decent photo of as it's inside the hook bit

·
Super Moderator
11,561 Posts
I'm waiting for you guys to figure it out....
I DO have pictures. First $17,500 gets them!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Have you tried installing the rear hoop yet?
Once you do, it will be pretty obvious.
Should you have any doubts, swap them side to side and see which works better.
Jor

·
Super Moderator
11,561 Posts
No guesses?

This is a never disassembled set on my late '65 Ausca spider.

The cars left hinge.

The cars right hinge.

High side is out, toward fenders. Low side, finger point goes to the inside.
Hows that?

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Alrighty, then ?

Thanks for the photos and to Joe who must have sprung for the $17.5K

Ray

·
Registered
570 Posts
Great Gordon,

No I was able to determine my two loose hinges from a car that I bought in pieces.
At the inside of the hinges I would have expected an S or D marking for left and right but there wasn't.
Thanks to your pictures we know now that the LEFT hinge has the DIS nr 72708 and the RIGHT hinge would be the DIS nr 72707.
Hopefully these numbers are kept on repro hinges.

Rgds,
Thierry

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Excellent info Uncle Gordon & Thierry !!

I learned something, that the body of the hinge also has the angle - this is not the case on the earlier separate hinges, they are uniformly tapered & rounded. The 2 little separate hooks have the chamfers just like the integral ones

Thanks to Joe for ponying up the 17.5k and to Gordon for being willing to help at a reduced rate ;)

Aye
Greig

1 - 19 of 19 Posts