Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking for a tonneau cover for my '64 Giulia Spider. BB threads turned up neither a source, nor a pattern to make one; LHD, of course. A Google search produced a couple of images, but one had no rear snaps to secure it, so I'm still in the dark,

Thanks,

Ray

IMG_3161.jpg
Tonneau - cropped.jpg

·
Administrator
3,721 Posts
They were always dealer or owner fitments, in the case of the Giulia Spider at the top, the tonneau has a hood type bar in the back pocket which just slots under the hood hooks like the soft top does.

In the case of 1495*02806, Dad's October '57 SWB Euro spec with quarter lights, the tan tonneau was too short to be able to use the hood hooks on the rear deck, so we fitted Lift-a-Dot fasteners to the deck. Ironically the tonneau actually came from the USA which is a non-vent window spec, so it had never actually been fitted (mille grazie GTD) - you can see the cut-away areas around the quarter lights. This picture is pre the new windscreen and the rear view mirror is now on the dash where it should be. It's also pre the driveway paving, so before 2013... did I really buy that car 9 years ago ??

Ray, I'd suggest you kept an long term eye out for either a spare rear hood bar or a suitable tonneau like the top one, they do turn up from time to time, if you are patient, the right one for your car will appear, I managed to find one for my '60 with the fixed hood, so the tonneau has snaps at the back to match the snaps around the base of the fixed top.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
360 Posts
Any good upholstery shop can make one to your own desired specs. Since they were dealer or local vendor requested items anyway, one can make them to be used for personal preferences: If it’s just for a period look, I’ve seen attachments applied to the top of the dash. I’m not a fan of doing that to an Alfa dash...the top can go up just as fast. If it’s just to be used to repel leaves, dust or an errant ice cream cone from a passerby, those are fine, but to keep real rain and wind from blowing in on top of the dash I like the type that goes over the windshield and attaching to the rear hinges’ slots. They now sell that type for the later spiders and many other convertible marques. You might be able to find one of those and fit it to your 101 with less effort than making a custom one from scratch.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Your comments reminded me that my car came with a series of holes for turnbuckle fasteners (five, I think) across the deck.Unfortunately, they were filled in when the body/paint work was done. I hadn't even thought about securing the front of the tonneau across the dash and by the quarter windows🙄

Once again, not having seen an assembled Giulia Spider (with a top up or down, or a tonneau cover set-up), continues to provide me with countless "Well, of course!", or more aptly, "Duh" moments relating to so many things I've encountered while attempting to restore this sweetheart.

How many layers of material are used in making a tonneau?

Thanks, again🙂

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ray,
Experiencing the same with my 101 on many occasions. My body guys did the same thing on my driver’s side for those turnbuckle holes. There are four for my ‘61. I had to measure the right side from the pillar to the first hole, then hoped it was drilled the same on the left side. I got lucky. Plus I saved the remnants of the my original top for referencing the holes. You can’t see from underneath for another access on some of those. I used blue tape on the paint and drilled slowly through my marked points. Tedious work to hit those original spots.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barn101,

Thanks for the info. I was hopeful that I could come up with a pattern for a tonneau to fit a 101 Spider, but I guess not many Alfisti have used them. Though I don't hang out much on the new 750-101 Group website, I'll try there, as well.

Photos of what you've accomplished thus far, would be greatly appreciated(y)

Ray

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greig,

Thanks for the customary insightful information! While I hate to admit this, I have no idea what a "rear hood (top, I assume) bar" is. Comparing both photos, I can see a number of differences between the two.

The Lift-a-Dot fasteners seem like a good idea for attaching a tonneau cover to the steel body of the Spider. Are they better than the twist-lock type used on the black tonneau in the photo?

Ray

·
Registered
351 Posts
My tonneau was likely installed by the Nashville dealer, Madison Smith Naturally. If you want, I will send you mine as an example. My car is a 1965 Giulia Spider.

Advise.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
330gtc,

Bro, that is a most generous offer.

PM sent. Er, Conversation started... 🙄

1 - 9 of 9 Posts