Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_1080.jpg IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1082.jpg I have two holes on each side of my floor boards behind my seats that had been used for the original seat belt I-hooks that had probably been installed by Hoffman, or by the local Toledo dealer where this car was shipped when new. What are the two holes for, one at each end, to the far right and left side of the lower rear spare tire & top deck support wall? The holes go through to the undercarriage. They are cut out/shaped to allow for some type of minor adjustments. I'm still surprised nothing but vinyl covers those other big holes.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just removed the vinyl from my car yesterday afternoon. I have similar holes with no apparent use. I do know the small screw hole nearby was for the snap ring (see picture below). Second picture is with the vinyl removed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,473 Posts
Whatever they are, I don't think they were meant to be strong enough for belts without some reinforcement. Most period installations went for a drilled hole in the floor with a big washer or doubler behind. Better than nothing but welded nutplate or reinforcement is even better.
Andrew

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
The holes are probably there to attach a hoist or jig in the assembly or painting process at the Pininfarina factory. Belts were dealer installed as an option as they were not mandatory.. I would expect them through the floor.behind the seats. A dealer would be creating a royal PITA for himself by trying to put a large flat washer, bolt and nut in the holes you show.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
FWIW,drawings of seat belt installation with bolt hole/support locations for the Giulietta spider.Don't know whose drawing this is or where it originated,but at the very bottom of the page is printed DuettoInfo.com-For free distribution423 0f 556. Barn101,AFA those large holes in the crossmember not being covered with something and showing through the vinyl,I have two suggestions.The first is to stay away from the holes when applying glue,maybe 1/2"-3/4",that helps keep the vinyl from sticking to the holes where they were punched or slightly rolled in,which basically defines the hole.I just replaced my vinyl and found this out.I did the drivers side first where the holes are clearly visible.The passenger side worked out a little better but still got too close to the largest hole with glue.Second,I'd find some thin,rigid plastic to put across the whole face of the crossmember,something like credit card plastic,thinner would probably work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Alphil,

Suggesting the use of thin plastic over those holes in the cross member is brilliant. I was wondering how the vinyl could possible be kept from receding into them!o_O(y)

What type of adhesive is best to use for that?

Ray

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the response gentlemen. I too considered covering those large holes with a thin board or plastic, but was wondering if it would show at the top edge too much and not look stock.

I was also considering one of the new car wrap vinyls over it, heating the back of it to tuck behind the top metal lip. Not enough heat to suck into those holes though, then my new interior vinyl over that. That glue tip is great, too, Alphil. If the wrap works or a board it’s still stronger than one strip of vinyl. I can see myself putting something behind the seat then poking a hole through there.

Anyway, the factory “jig” explanation makes perfect sense. My seat belts are racing quality from 1961. GTD actually posted the type they are from a period advertisement on one of my previous posts. The chrome on them came out great. They indeed had huge thick washers for their I-hooks underneath the floorboards...both holes behind the seats on the floor boards.

I must say, however, I tried those bolts through those jig holes and they will actually accept large washers behind them and would be much, much more strong than the thin floor boards...at least for one of the belts and might also be less stress on the seat bottom fabric. I just wondered if those holes were a seat belt location option.

Since they were covered by vinyl from the factory, I guess one needed to know that there might be a seat belt hole option there, if only to be spotted from underneath. I'm thinking they most likely hid that hole for a reason as Rick suggested. PITA for dealers.

Not sure what others have but I have drain holes centered front and rear of the seats, and two seat belt holes on each side of those rear drain holes.

Alphil, I just looked at those Spider & Spider Veloce seat belt diagrams for a new location. I see those are for a shoulder belt only, drilling through the rear trim panels, then also drilling into the propshaft tunnel. I guess those might keep one's head from driving into the windshield in an accident, but I think I'll just stick with lower original locations. Great historic info though about what they were suggesting before mandatory seat belts.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more question about the “other” belts. The tool belts and the top frame belts; to which side are the buckles placed, left side or right, under their brackets? They can be installed aimed either way. I hope it didn’t depend on if the Alfa installer had been left or right-handed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts