Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are there any tips for installing the triangle on my '61?

1.) Should its ball joint parts be packed by hand
with grease first?

2.) Tightness of the top screw, or does it just seat until the spring clip fits in?

3.) What size and length are the bolts holding it in to the chassis? The parts list doesn't specify the size of those bolts (I may be missing some from the previous owner's disassembly bolts & nuts due to a few rust seizures) & the shop manual drives right by any description of the process to assemble this.

4.) For the diff.... I'm attaching the shocks at the bottom first, then lifting both and the springs up and in slowly with a jack. Correct way to go?
Thanks for any assistance,
Dave

Zoom in of Triangle.png

·
Administrator
3,805 Posts
I've always applied grease when the fittings are open then tightened the cap down fairly tight then gradually wind the cap in until I can line up the little holes for the safety clip pigtail - you don't want the cap loose or you will have a clunk under the rear and it's a triangle out job to tighten that thing properly....

From memory the bolts are 12mm diameter, measure the bracket under the car & add enough to have flat washers, spring washer & a nut - or in my case spring washers & double nuts seeing as I left those loose on the Ti resto and lost a triangle bolt on the road...sideways travel on the rear axle makes for interesting handling. Regular Giuliettaletta subscribers may remember that story of several years ago.

Yes fit the shocks to the diff mounts, pop the springs over them, NOT forgetting the lower thick washer & shock mount rubber, then extend the shocks up full - a handy trick is to wind a length of soft wire tightly onto the threads at the top and feed that up into the body & out the mount hole - makes it easy to pull the shock back up to full extension if you snag it going in and manage to compress it down again - trying to extend the shock back up by wiggling fingers through the spring coils is frustrating to say the least. Correct aluminium spacers to the top of the springs - checking that the original spacers are not still hung up in the body or you end up with a dragster look and have to pull the axle out again... guess how I know.

Helps to have 2 x trolley jacks and a friend to help the process along

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
The long bolts to hold the triangle to the car if I recall had Pal nuts to secure the nuts from coming out. It becomes a very wild ride when you lose one of those bolts. I was out giving a ride to a friend on a curvy road when the rear end let loose. The bolt had slid out but didn't get lost. I pushed it back in and drove VERY carefully back home. A half hour to fix.
There should be a grease fitting on the ball and it should be tight as mentioned so there is no slop in travel. Think of it as a lower ball joint. You do not want that to be loose.

·
Administrator
3,805 Posts
Ahhh Christopher I'm glad I'm not the only one !!

I limped into the nearest town and did a 'field fix' at a local spares shop & garage using new long bolts with flat washers, a spring washer, a plain nut plus a nylock nut as a second lock nut, it was all still good last time I was under there

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
417 Posts
The pivot bolts originally were specific to the locations, try to find them if you can; they will have only a short threaded length, much shorter than a standard partially threaded bolt.
If you are using urethane for what the parts book calls Spring Washers, #26, lubricate them well with the appropriate grease to avoid squeaks.
As with all suspension pivot bushings, do the final torquing with the suspension under normal load.
Joe

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
  1. Thanks to all for your reponses. Btw, are there washers on the outside by the hex heads, or just on the inside? I have four 12mm bolts the same length, 86mm, waiting in the longitudinal arms' silent blocks now. Is that right, or are the two for this longer? In the photo, this is what I have left for long bolts. I do have those thin "Pal" nuts to secure the other nuts if that's what they are called. I wasn't sure where to use them. I have two kinds of those urethane washers...didn't think to grease those too. Good tip. Squeaks drive me nuts.
Just checked...I’m missing some bolts long enough for this.

IMG_1023 2.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts