Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken the bonnet hinges off my 101 Spider and noticed that the gap behind the hinge pin varies. (See pic)
Can someone tell me which one is the correct one for my car?
(Note: whilst it doesn't look the case, both hinges are exactly the same length)
Regards, Mick

Attachments

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Mick
It's apparent that the upper hinge in your pic is of the correct form .. and it likely sports the "scar'" at the point that the forward section strikes the rear section when the hood/bonnet is opened to an excessive point.
This scar is the price paid for "over-opening" the hood for much easier access to the engine compartment .. quite common.

As far as why someone cut off a portion of the lower hinge in the picture, one wonders ...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mick
It's apparent that the upper hinge in your pic is of the correct form .. and it likely sports the "scar'" at the point that the forward section strikes the rear section when the hood/bonnet is opened to an excessive point.
This scar is the price paid for "over-opening" the hood for much easier access to the engine compartment .. quite common.

As far as why someone cut off a portion of the lower hinge in the picture, one wonders ...
Hi GTD,
I'll assume the top one is correct and find a matching hinge.
From your explanation, I have now noticed that a PO has filed the forward section of the part that rotates down to the body which sort of made sense.
What I don't understand is why the slot has been lengthen in the lower hinge. Oh well, another mystery!
Mick

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Junk hinge

Mick
It is very likely a PO had broken the edge of the original hinge, leaving the gap near the pin point. They filed that edge square and dressed the trailing edge - for whatever reason.

No assumption needed, the hinge is junk.
Do yourself a favor and purchase a new pair of hinges .. the mental reward every time you look at them on the car will soon offset the expenditure.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm going resurrect this post hoping it may also help for other 101 hinge searches. I had mine re-chromed and the above mentioned gouging in the pot metal from some degree of excessive opening happened to mine as well.

I have been trying to figure out the thread size for my rear hinges too, and also the angle that they are to be installed. They have one curved-angled side and one closer to 90 degrees. Do the curved angles face the rear fender?

I spent a lot on the chrome and they look great and are original, but like everything else, they are fighting an easy installation.

The stud thread size has me frustrated. None of the original nuts I have in my stash seem to fit the studs. A close fit is 6mm, 1.0 pitch, but is not correct, and any SAE nut I've tried doesn't fit either. All seem to not have the correct pitch and would cross thread. Any tips on those? Are the studs available anywhere? Belmetrics? If so, any idea what size threads?

·
Registered
417 Posts
M5x.8
You probably have excessive chrome build up on the studs.
The same thing happened to me; it’s a bear to get off.
An adjustable die may help.
Joe

·
Registered
428 Posts
I took a die to them last week and cleared the chrome but the pitch seems off. The 5mm die doesn’t want to go on at all. Hoping the studs from Belmetrics will be better. 25mm long I think.
How about the way the hinge body angles? It looks like the angle curves in from the fender side toward the center. Yes?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts