Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just wondering if anyone could assist me as I’m trying to determine if my 1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider is a ‘101 or 750’ series? The Alfa registers in Italy advised on the certificate that chassis number
AR 1495 08587 was produced on
28 December 1959 and delivered on
1 February 1960 however it doesn’t give me any other information apart from the exterior colour. Would it be a 1959 or 1960? How can I determine if it’s ‘101 or 750’ as I would like to start ordering parts. Any assistance would be great. Thanks Lia

·
Registered
187 Posts
Difficult, especially as you don't know which changes were made to the car by previous owners.
How does your engine look like? Pictures?
What does the data plate in the engine bay say?
Long or short wheelbase? Quarter windows?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine isn’t the original so it’s difficult to determine it from there. It’s a shell at the moment as I’m currently working on another vehicle. As this would be the next one I will be restoring, I wanted to make sure I had the correct information before I start ordering parts etc. is there any other way by using the chassis number?
A5F4D85F-C1D5-44F0-B96C-AA4E139FEFA6.jpeg
D7C10D78-EEA2-4EF6-A936-B93CBD936749.jpeg

·
Registered
187 Posts
Which parts do you want to order?
For the chassis the door length, front panels and seat rails differ between 750, and 101 as far as I know. Maybe a bit more?
Also seats are different
And there are different versions of the soft top,
In fact you always have to measure everything before you order ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have most of the main parts which will need restoring but it was more about knowing the correct model and series when ordering parts I may need as I start restoring.

·
Administrator
3,804 Posts
AR 1495 08587 is a 1959 Giulietta Spider Normale Series II Interim or Transition car. Basically it's early-ish on in the transition from 750 to 101, so still runs a 750 chassis designation, but the mechanicals are 101, it's a LWB with quarter light windows and a split case transmission. The door trim will be aluminium. It should have a fixedhood or soft top as was the spec then. The end of the 750 cars was around 07500, somewhat earlier than the Parts Manual's 08001

We have 08930 a Feb '60 Interim/Transition Spider with aluminium trim around the doors and 750 'coin catcher' seats and 10990 a 15 July Interim/Transition Spider with stainless trim around the doors and 101 pleated seats. Both have fixed hoods.

Do you have the original data tags ?

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Greig
Thank you for the information. I’m hoping that the data tags are still on the vehicle which would make this a lot easier. Once my father and I start this restoration then we will be able to see what it has and what it’s missing. The information you have provided is extremely helpful as it gives me a bit of direction as to what to look for when we start the process of restoring this beautiful classic.
Thanks again and I’m sure I will have many more questions for you along the way.
Ciao
Lia

1 - 11 of 11 Posts