Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The thrust race in my 101 is working ok, but after about 15km it starts to rumble and the clutch when depressed stops the rumble noise but gives a slight pulsating feeling through the pedal. My guess is the bearing is near the end of its life and needs replacing. Never worked on an Alfa before. Is it possible to get the gearbox out without removing the engine ? My car is a 59 model and has been fitted with a 1600 101 (not 105) engine and 5 speed gearbox.Any advice much appreciated. I am in Sydney ... Ed

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It is very feasible, easier on a 101 Giulietta than on the later Alfas - mechanically identical, more room all around. Been there, done that. Disconnect the exhaust ahead of the axle and use it as a lever to tilt the engine downwards. You may have to disconnect the tie rod or drop the idler arm. Needed on a 105, don't remember on a 101 - last time I did it on one was 1989.

·
Super Moderator
10,640 Posts
You may have to disconnect the tie rod or drop the idler arm. Needed on a 105, don't remember on a 101 - last time I did it on one was 1989.
Yes, messing with the steering linkage would be necessary on a 105. But there's no such need on a 101, where all the tie rods are in front of the engine.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Disconnect ground to the battery... just a safety thing... Place a piece of cardboard between the top of the engine and firewall as you'll want the engine to tilt down there and make contact. If you don't want to disconnect the exhaust and disturb the joints you can try just disconnecting the hangers.. Remove the shifter and unclamp the gaiters.. might as well to take the metal shroud off that is screwed to the floor... disconnect the clutch linkage...remove two cross members ..unbolt front drive shaft and mark it to put back in same place... It should slide off the spline of the clutch taking care not to put any load moment on the shaft. I've done it lying on my back on cold concrete. Grease the pilot bushing ..Aligning the splines is a little tricky and trial and error to get it back in. Not something I have done in awhile but youth and strong arms will get it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts