Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
?s

OK Crew,
To answer some ?s as asked on the photo page.
It is a real 101.06 Sprint Veloce Fusi puts it at the 1st 1961 ,last of the giuliettas. see the wounderful older style dash bord. But the big lights and busy grill. ( i like the early 750 grill and tail lights better)
Body strip tanked ground rsteration, all welds /seems checked and reeinforced. Its a hot rod for the likes of La Carerea Panamerica and other major raod races., I just wanted a hot rod for the street . something I would enjoy and could do stunts in etc. Insteed of buying a mustang, make a wounderful Alfa with its great streeing, a street barn stormer.
Engine; 1750 nice head. Lightened flywheel(alloy also) lightened Crank, oil cooler custom headers, 45 DCOEs
suspention all the norm stuff one can do Panhard bar bushings springs Bla bla bla.
How does it work you ask? well it still needs a lot of sorting out. Its so dang tail happy, big front bar , to stiff front springs, and still its tail happy any imput GRAETLY APPRECIATED! and it lost that nice finger tip sterring that these 750/101 cars can have. It would be great for a AutoX , but I would not want to drift it at 80mph+ so I need a lot of more sortimg out.
Motor wize Ya Hoooooooooo its awesome , I really need a rev limter. its at 7000 +RPMs before you can even think its time to shift. But Unfortunatly, when I put on a quit ex.(Muffler) It looses a lot of that quick revs. and its not I think it is because it sounds differant , it is a lot slower with a stuffed up ex system. any help again would be wounderful. It has a side exit on it .
hope that answers your ?s.
peter

·
Administrator
12,077 Posts
suspention all the norm stuff one can do Panhard bar bushings springs Bla bla bla.
How does it work you ask? well it still needs a lot of sorting out. Its so dang tail happy, big front bar , to stiff front springs, and still its tail happy any imput GRAETLY APPRECIATED! and it lost that nice finger tip sterring that these 750/101 cars can have.
Hmmm. I would do the wheel alignment, corner weight checks and then ensure everything is in perfect order first, ie. maybe you have a partially seized steering joint or something which is ruining the steering.

From reading your story of this car, I would suspect that somebody has modified it without enough knowledge of suspension theory. I would suggest returning it back to factory specs and then moving forward, unless you can find somebody who knows about these cars to give direct input.

A car that is too stiff will just hop from bump to bump ... thus maybe it was setup for a really smooth track somewhere.

Also what have they done to locate the axle, forward and aft, now that it has a panhard rod. If they still have the original top arm AND a panhard rod the rear suspension will NOT allow much if any axle movement ... and thus VERY tail happy, and absolutely NO grip!!! Probably should check this first I guess.

The problem with modifications is that 75% of people modify their cars with little or no knowledge, and way less knowledge than the manufacturer (or though they designed the car for road work and many compromises). The other thing to worry about is sometimes when you buy a race car ... the owner has removed all the good stuff and replaced with anything that holds the car up ... thus the car is no longer the brilliantly balanced and fast thing that you watched tear up the track!

Good luck
Pete

·
Registered
127 Posts
PSB
I love that car, what a beauty!

been looking for some lightweight wheels for my ss, since the ones I got from HB weight about a ton. How are those on your car?

bruce

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I think you front end is fine.

It's the rear. You might have to stiff springs & shocks. If you have the adjustable Koni's you can soften up the rear. If that does not help, remove the rear sway bar, if it has one. That should help out a lot!

If all that fails, look into the rear springs.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys Keep the toughts coming

Some input from me about you Great thoughts on the chassie.
Yes the pepole who have had this car in the past put a lot of thought in the details, but not much correct theory on the chassie. Things like the tierod ends on 1 side were screwed all the way in no threds showing, and the other side had over a inch of threads showing, I need not say more ,IDITS
I beleave I may be going back to almost stock as you said. I have already changed the front springs and the rears are OK. Sniady, No rear bar, and shocks are ajusted to 1 up form soft so I have some rebound but less than a stock 750 car . Pete she is not a hoper, even on the bad roads out here. so thats a blessing No sezed front parts , But the lower A arms are not even with the road she is a little lower than stock. problem? yes I think? but I would expect more bump steer not stiffer non livly steering.
Agian any input big HELP!!!
Now PSK you may of hit on it, The Panhard bar, The Sprint is not here now, But my wounderful1957 750 is and I looked under it and I do belive the sprint has the same set up but with red bushings in the upper top locating triangle. so yes its stiff. So please enlighten me about this panard bar stuff I have books from over 30 years of doing this and no real theiory on the panhard bar. I think I will take the side to side one off and see what happens then. Do I not need the top triangle with the panhard bar?
Wow if this is the problem I have been chassing this for a weeks worht of hours. And this has allways pleaged this car form the start. years ago.
Keep em Coming
THANKS GUYS
PSB
PS Nice to here from PSK I wondered who you were. My middle nam is Sam.

·
Administrator
12,077 Posts
Panhard rod/bar

PSB,

First of all my middle name does not start with S. I use PSk as my initials since there was also a PS when I was at school ... and it has stuck since :) ... so I'm cheating :D

Anyway, first I should say that panhard rods are a good idea if there is no other side ways location of the axle (except say leaf strings ... which do not locate perfectly).

The Alfa rear axle setup for many, many years has used that top A arm to locate the axle sideways. This it does very well ... with the disadvantage of a high roll centre.

Thus many racers convert their cars to use panhard rods to lower the roll centre, and thus improve traction out of corners. BUT you have to change the A arm so that it no longer controls the sideways movement of the axle.

I have seen many Alfas converted to 4 trailing arms and they appear to work well ... with a panhard rod also.

I have also seen somebody add a panhard rod to the standard Alfa suspension ... and in the practise session it was ripped out of the car :eek:

Thus if you have both you are going to have a fight between the too methods of locating the axle sideways.

One minor disadvantage of a panhard rod is that the axle does actually move sideways compared to the body shell of the car due to the arc the rod describes ... the Alfa A arm does not do this.

Anyway PSB will be interested to see what you find ... note also that the GTA's with their sliding block sideways location, modify the A arm to be a simple trailing arm that no longer controls sideways movement ... and I'm pretty sure they know what they were doing ;)

Peter Alexander Skudder, otherwise known as Pete ;)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Hi Anthony.
Thanks for the update and invite! I have a hole host of resons why we can not make it down. 1, is the big one $. 2, I do not currently do not have a comp lic. 3, the car is not so good for the track yet. Way to much rear roll stiffness. Weeeee fun on the street if you do not want to go fast in the turns.
Have fun down there wishig you all well. Point & shoot
Peter
ps see the new photo in this section

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fine driving S.V. shots with other wheels

Sorry guys the other post was supposed to be here so you can see the same car whith differant wheels. What do you guys think?
The Minnie lights are lighter, and stunning, but the 15 in. are so correct. I can not seem to make up my mind. Its funner to drift around in with the skiny 15in. corrct wheels.
i have another great photo I tryed to post just now but it said it was to big, any ideas how to make it smaller. its from the same camera and roll as the photo in gas station.
any way Take care
PSB

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I saw your other picture in the other thread, and even though your new 15" wheels maybe correct, I like the look of the Minnie Lite's better.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She is all sorted out and just found this post and thought ya still looks fine with these min lights on it. I may have to go back to these. as some of you know I put proper wheels on her. But after seeing this post I think I like these better.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
minilites

peter,
are those minilites or panasports? i thought yours had panasports the last time i saw it at the all italian day in alameda. they look great in your car! are they 15x6's?
benji

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
panasports

peter,
looks great on the car, man! where is your car park? i'm going to have to steal it from you one of these days and keep it to myself!hah hah!
it's gorgeous!
thanks again!
benji

1 - 18 of 18 Posts