Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I have stated previousy, my 88 Quad spider came with a retrofit window regulator on the drivers side. I like the retrofit regulator so much that I have been waiting out the impending total failure of the OEM cable pulley regulator in the passengers side. Well, it got to the point that I had to help the passengers window up every time I raised that window. Monday I ordered a retrofit system from Mr Fiat in Atlanta. cost was $240 plus $15 shipping. The thing arrived at 09:00am this mornnig and by 01:30pm I had it installed. And this with 2 side trips to quarter wash the empty door casing and get stainless steel hardware (a fetish of mine). I also removed the vent window frame and replaced a failed rivet in the frame.

Now I am 100% retrofit on both windows and they are SO SO smooth. Pictures tell the story.

First is retrofit system in drivers door which came with the Quad when I bought it. Following photos are the new retrofit system, and fully installed and functioning retrofit system in the passengers door.

Expensive but worth it IMHO.

Robert

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Nice!

Do they go up and down quickly?

Vin

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Kim,

Their site is partially down right now. I knew they stocked these but the part of their site for spiders 70 - 93 is out of service. When I called them Monday they did not know about the site problem and said they would notify their webmaster. It is now Thursday and I just checked and that part of the site is still down. When I talked with them Monday I just told them what I wanted and they sent it Fed Ex ground.

Vin,

They go up and down pretty fast, probably about the same as the OEM system when one is functioning at it's best. Certainly much faster than my passengers side ever since I bought the Quad. The great thing about these is that they go up and down at the same speed. I always noticed on my 88 Veloce and the Quad that the OEM sytem was much faster going down than going up. The new one and the at least 5 year old drivers side both go at the same rate, so there has been no deteriation in the speed of these over the years (as opposed to the OEM system).

I am pretty happy with these retrofits, other than the expensive price. I did not have to pay for the drivers side since it came with the car. So my total investment in both is the single price I paid for the new passengrers side unit. If I had not had the good experience with the old drivers side I doubt that I would have gone into the $240 price blind.

Centerline also sells these but their price is $257 vs Mr Fiat price of $240.

Robert

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
aldo,

The installation was not bad, although I have to admit that the new passengers side did not fit the existing mount holes in the door perfectly as did the drivers side. I have taken the drivers side system out and it fits all the OEM holes exactly. The new passengers side only fit 1 mount hole on the inside door skin. I had the move 1 other mount bolt (these have a variety of mount holes on the motor mount plate) and then drill 2 new holes in the inside door skin. All other mounts fit existing OEM mount holes.

The installation is very simple. I had to remove the vent window assembly to get the old motor and cable winder out of the door casing. All other removal of the old system is very strightforward. You just remove EVERYTHING. Then you reuse the rear lower plate mount stud and the next to last upper wire pulley mount hole. While I had the vent window assembly out I cleaned it up and replaced a broken rivet. I also tightened the spring loaded friction on the vent window pivot since it was so easy to do with the vent window out of the car. After installing the new system loosly, I jury rigged the 2 wires from the switch to verify up and down and ran the system up and down while I tightened everything up. If there was any apparent problem I released the mount bolts and played around with the positioning of the track assembly until it worked equally well up and down. I also used the opportunity of having the glass out to razor blade scrape the glass on both sides (repaint overspray) and clean it up with Windex before the reinstall.

The removal and reinstall is simple enough that I know you can do it because I have read enough of your posts to know you are a natural wrench and a problem solver. I personally think that anyone mechanical enough to remove and replace the door panel successfully could install one of these. But the instruction sheet which came with it was pretty weak.

Robert

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Robert,
I just broke a cable and am weighing the options on which way to proceed.
Way too easy for me to spend your money, but I personally recommend the retrofit system. They are just too expensive though, in MHO.

This being said, I will give you the cable system I took out of my passengers side door if it will do you any good. Just pay shipping. The cable winder and all the rest is all OK, just a worn out electric motor.

Robert

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Would anyone have any knowledge if this system would fit into a GTV? My cable broke and I'm weighing the options of re-cabling (not looking forward to that), letting someone re-cable, or this option.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would anyone have any knowledge if this system would fit into a GTV? My cable broke and I'm weighing the options of re-cabling (not looking forward to that), letting someone re-cable, or this option.

Thanks,
IMHO your best bet would be to speak directly with someone at Centerline and with Mr. Fiat in Altanta. They would probably have experience with both the Spider and the GTV and be in the best position (experience wise) to give you some advice about your question. Besides, they have to buy these from some supplier somewhere and may know if that supplier also offers a GTV version of this retrofit. Maybe they could special order a GTV version for you.

Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts