Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Some of the guys in the NZ Trofeo Series are having trouble finding replacement pistons for the 1.7L 8 valve boxer engines.
Particularly oversized pistons.

A restricted category we run in the series allows either a slightly modified 1500 or a standard 1700 8 valve engine. Lack of 1.7 replacement pistons is becoming a real nuisance.

Does any one have any idea of sources elsewhere, or potential equivalent alternatives to the standard 1700 pistons?

Forged, custom made pistons are obviously available, but at a cost. We run the less expensive standard items precisely to keep costs down.

Any bright ideas much appreciated.

Many thanks
David F

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a spare engine i parts which i was going to rebuild if interested?? I have 2 and building a tickled up 1.7 for my 33, have had some cams ground and will give heads a bit of work but nothing serious (obviously i wont be able to enter the standard trofeo class!)

Just out of curiousity do you run OE Rings and bearings or so you have a Aftermarket supply??

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am using 16v pistons in my 8v 1.7 build. The specs on the pistons, con-rods, block and crank are identical appart from the dish on the top of the piston. When I mock built my engine with the 16v pistons the static compression ratio was 12.35: 1. I got a machinist to add a 5cc dish to the pistons thus bringing the compression ratio down to 11:1. I will post pictures shortly. It is definitely a worth while mod (very cost effective) if you can get hold of some 16v pistons.

Does any one no where I can get new con-rod bolts? The main dealer has exhausted their supplies!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that guys, looks like there are possibilities with the modified 16v pistons.

Was rather hoping there was an aftermarket manufacturer producing an equivalent to the Alfa original item off the shelf so we could try and keep the 1.7 motors standard.

Makes for good close competition when no-one has a big power advantage !

If anyone does find anything, I'd appreciate hearing about it !!

For Fabcrab, I've used the genuine article so far when freshening up my spare 1.7 motor. I must say I couldn't complain about the motors, they hang together pretty well over a long period of track abuse !!!

Thanks again
David F

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys , picking up on a very old thread.

We trying to rebuild a 1700 8v, we didn't really get these motors in SA, so spares are a slight problem, especially the pistons.
Have you guys found an alternative that can be used ?

Thanks

Angelique

·
Administrator
12,111 Posts
I used forged pistons made by Cosworth (as I was told) ... over 25 years ago. I do not recall this being expensive at the time, likely cheaper than genuine Alfa Romeo items.

If interested contact Edgell Automotive in Auckland NZ, although he will likely have forgotten, but I'm sure he can source them.
Pete
ps: I don't recommend boring out a 1500cc block. I did that first and one of the liners cracked, so bought a 1700cc 147(?) engine from Australia and put the 1500cc crank in it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We don't have them here in S.A. but I'm looking to build a 1700 sometime soon.
In the past I used Toyota 2Y pistons (86mm), bored out the smallend and machined the dish without re-sleeving the 1500 block.
Other options are-
Toyota 5SFE (Camry 87mm 2,2l) with dish/pocket mods or-
Toyota 3SGTE, this is an 86mm, 16v piston which could be used as the Celica/MR2 boys mostly use 5S blocks and I know 87mm+ versions are available from Wiseco etc.

These are Toyota 3SFE 86,5mm oversize Clevite pistons (Celica/Corona 2l) I paid $120 for on ebay a few years ago

I haven't done any research yet (they weren't sold here) but I believe Subaru 8v pistons are another option worth looking at (EJ16-18?). There is also the option to go totally crazy and re-sleeve the blocks to 90+mm using pistons from the EJ22-EJ25?
You boys & girls in NZ may be able to help me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts