Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if it was possible to mate the RWD gearbox to the modern Mito engine, perhaps if some kind of adaptor could be made ?

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
There's no reason why it can't be done, what's your thoughts on it? Just curious to see if it could be done? Although it'd be a LOT of work, not a cheap exercise and the originality of the car would obviously be affected, IMO it'd be an interesting exercise and certainly something different.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Now I've never seen a Mito engine, but 1 thing that has happened a bit with other car manufacturers, is that their more recent engines that were never used in longitudinal mounting (RWD), is that don't have any cast in bosses that can be used for RWD style engine mounts...................
They only have a mount at the front of the engine and torque mounts are either part of said same mount, maybe they have 1 attached to the engine, or they use mounts at the bell housing.

Just something to keep an eye out for.

·
Administrator
12,561 Posts
Now I do not know if the gearbox output flanges are behind the engine as normal and if it is possible to reverse the rotation of the engine so you could put it behind the rear seat but with the output flanges ahead of the engine to make the whole engine and gearbox unit drive the rear wheels. Now that would be an interesting project ... but the current one is just weird and needs justification.
Pete

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see there are many issues to be adressed, especially the lack of bosses for engine mounts :oops:

But in my oppinion it makes sense to fit a modern engine to the old chassis.

If you want to have a classic car as a daily driver you get much more fuel economy and can retain at least the same amount of power or more. There are less maintenance to the more modern engines and you can save the original engine if you want to sell the car one day.

Ofcourse it has to be done in a way that you don´t have to do too many changes to the car so that it will be too difficult to retrofit the original engine.

Sorry for my broken english.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
What is the fuel mileage of the 1.4 multiair?

·
Administrator
12,561 Posts
About 50mpg
I understand the want for fuel economy but you will not be driving a 105 series with a modern engine. I say this because a big part of the driving experience comes from the engine, the way it comes on cam, the throttle response, etc.

IMO it would make more sense to buy a modern Alfa/FIAT as your daily driver and keep your 105 for the fun drives on the weekend.
Pete

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand the want for fuel economy but you will not be driving a 105 series with a modern engine. I say this because a big part of the driving experience comes from the engine, the way it comes on cam, the throttle response, etc.

IMO it would make more sense to buy a modern Alfa/FIAT as your daily driver and keep your 105 for the fun drives on the weekend.
Pete
That might be a point, especially because I have yet to try driving one. At the moment Im just in love with its looks

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The 1.4 multiair is an awesome engine. It's actually 1368cc and I have seen over 250hp with minimal mods. Fuel economy is terrific, overall, it's a great modern engine. Does it have the soul of the older Alfa engines, I don't think so. I wouldn't put one into an older Alfa, and I think doing it would be a huge effort. Nothing on it will bolt up.

Greg,
Silicone Hose Kits
HPSI Motorsports - Performance Products for Street and Race
OKINJECTORS--Gasoline and Diesel Injector Cleaning, Rebuild, Overhaul, and Testing Services

1 - 12 of 12 Posts