Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i went to AR ricambi about 6 months ago i saw a poster of a 1967 Alfa Romeo Gulia Sprint Gt doing a wheel stand on the dragstrip. about 2 months ago at some website i saw a Milano drag racing a Accord. Now everybody knows that Alfa Romeo is one of the best handling cars ever made. I was wondering if any of you have seen a 1/4 mile Alfa? Personally i belive the Alfa Romeo needs to stay in Road racing but a Alfa in any other type of racing is also appriciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bonnie Alfa

OK, how about last August's run of a 1991 2-litre Spider at Bonneville Salt Flats?

Mike Besic cracked the 200mph barrier. This was followed by Craig Belat driving this wild 415hp Alfa to an average speed run of 203.108mph!!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 1991 2 liter spider that you are talking about, is that the same one that is in the International auto parts catalog?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
John, it is. The yellow "Bonnie" is in the IAP catalog. :)

Azzurri GTV said:
The 1991 2 liter spider that you are talking about, is that the same one that is in the International auto parts catalog?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,408 Posts
I heard of someone who had a GTV with an Alfa racing V8 (Tipo 33 engine or "Tasman" V8 I think) in it that ran some very nice 1/4 mile times. Don't remember any of the details, though...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JoeCab said:
I heard of someone who had a GTV with an Alfa racing V8 (Tipo 33 engine or "Tasman" V8 I think) in it that ran some very nice 1/4 mile times. Don't remember any of the details, though...
Sweet a V8 in a GTV that is crazy, Is it possible? If it is, then that is one bad quarter mile car but the handling has gotta suck.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,408 Posts
Why would the handling "have to suck"?

Alfa V8 and V6 engines are pretty **** light, they really wouldn't add that much weight over a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i don't know i guess from a 4 cylinder to a 8 cylinder Alfa engine would be a increase of 60lbs. Yeah the handling would still be ok bc of the increase.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,408 Posts
60lbs is less than the difference between a 1300 and a 2000 engine.

Keep in mind that the engine in question was a full-race, dry sump, aluminum Alfa V8. Would undoubtedly be lighter than the Montreal V8. I wish I could find or remember more info on this car.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
the gtv

Here's a picture of the V8 GTV, I got it when we were asking anyone about drag racing Alfa's on our $2002 Challenge.

As for other Alfa drag racers, just coincidentally, we JUST finished the $2003 Challenge. Our best 1/4 mile time was 14.38 sec.

The car is a turbo 2.0l, with ice water intercooling.

VERY similar to Bonnie, the car that did 203mph at the Salt Flats... Ok, not that simiar, I like to call it a $2003 copy of a car that did 200mph...

Eric

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,408 Posts
Thanks Eric!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I saw a pic awhile back of a 1/4 mile Alfetta GT that had a V8, some Australian site I think. Seems like it would twist the hell out of the car if not supported right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts