Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AR164 07A Cooling - Modifying 164 thermostat housing

Plan to do some R&D work on modifying Alfa V6 engine thermostat housings to accept regular thermostat cartridge like used in most cars.

Has anybody already done this by cutting off aluminum legs that hold current thermostat cartridge used in Alfa V6 thermostat housings for GTV6, Milano or 164 and machining housing to accept regular thermostat cartridge?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Somebody has done it and I saw a pic a while back! Beside removing the legs, I believe the housing(s) was machined down the diameter of a regular thermostat so the thermostat can be sandwiched inside the upper and lower housings without leaving a big gap.

Instead of machining, perhaps a regular thermostat can be sealed with a big/thick o-ring/gasket between the housings. Just an idea (pic below), I put a rubber flange gasket/o-ring for heating system circulator over the legs of a thermostat housing - don't know whether the thermostat bolts are strong enough to clamp down on this rubber gasket to provide good seal though!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Milling Alfa V6 thermostat housing to insert regular thermostat capsule

Found this info over on Milano tab:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/204717-post13.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1987-1989/24010-v6-thermostat.html#post204717

Found 180 degree Fram 778-180 Gen 2 778180 or 195 degree Fram 778-195 Gen 2 778190 on Online Auto Parts and Auto Accessories Store at PartsAmerica.com but can't tell what is part number of Fel Pro rubber gasket in pictures. I know Pep Boys and other auto stores sell thermostats and those style gaskets so I will be checking them out, too.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
This is a very interesting and good idea. My Behr thermo is not warming the car as fast as I would like it to and thinking about replacing it again soon. It is not very old but they seem to fail in the partially open state when they go bad. To be able to use an off the shelf thermo work would be excellent. I think many of us have old ones laying around that could be machined. The biggest problem I see, is the forward most through hole in the middle thermohousing of the "sandwich" of castings has only 4mm between it and the large center opening the other two have about 7mm. This would be the lower sealing surface of the thermostat. It will probably work but not much space at that bolt hole. Of course it works with the original gasket but we all know the bolt corrosion problems. My guess is that that is the one with the most corrosion problems.
Charles

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Steve,
Yes, I have done this to both a 12V and a 24V thermostat housings. Broke off the legs and sandwiched a regular 82 degree unit into the housing. I did not even use one with a shut-off valve at the bottom! I made up a new cardboard gasket to match the new thermostat. Both conversions worked well. The engines ran at perfect temperatures and never overheated.

Ciao, Alex.

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
Plan to do some R&D work on modifying Alfa V6 engine thermostat housings to accept regular thermostat cartridge like used in most cars.

Has anybody already done this by cutting off aluminum legs that hold current thermostat cartridge used in Alfa V6 thermostat housings for GTV6, Milano or 164 and machining housing to accept regular thermostat cartridge?
I have done it, I will search for the one I made and shoot a pic.
Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts