Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alfa 164 TSB 00.91.01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alfa Tech Bulletin from 1991. Interesting to read all that has happened since this thing was published: Alfa 164 TSB 00.91.01

PIPE DREAMING by Time Standard Xspurts!

Notice that the time allowed is 3.7 hours on a 164 12v engine. Just checked Alfa Flat Rate Manual for 12v and 24v and same 3.70 hours is listed time standard for 12v just as bulletin states and 24v listed as 4.50 hours. Operation Code 0332 100.

Do you think anybody can do it correctly in that time? I doubt anybody can do it in thoses times and have confidence timing and tension is correct especially on 24v.

They allow for water pump change which has to assume you are removing timing belt to get to it 4.75 hours on 12v and 5.70 on 24v again a pipe dream especially on 24v. Operation code 0710 100

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
There is a difference in warranty time and regular flat rate time. They always kill a mechanic on warranty time because the manufacturer has to pay the dealer back. The normal flat rate is a little better.

Paul

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a difference in warranty time and regular flat rate time. They always kill a mechanic on warranty time because the manufacturer has to pay the dealer back. The normal flat rate is a little better.

Paul
Maybe in the real world but Alfa Flat Rate Manual Time standard (flat rate) is same as warranty time standard given in bulletins I checked.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
3.70 days for the 24V timing belt change, maybe.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is our new standard for 12v whereas I think it took me about 4.75 days to get Myron's 24v LS back together.

·
Premium Member
9,747 Posts
LOL!!:D I don't think I have done any timing belts that fast. No wonder the service network was such a mess! This is the real reason for the timing belt problems in the past not the belts or tensioners, it was the mechanics running around with their heads cut off.

In and out concept to make more money never really works well. You always have mistakes at higher rates. I understand urgency to get vehicles back to customers fast but you also don't want them coming back for the same issue 200 miles later.

Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts