Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truer words have never been spoken......:surprise:

Can't believe the previous auction winner backed out.

Alfa Romeo Other Spider | eBay

Somebody needs to kick somebodies butt. :crying2:

Is it possible this car was was at one time in the "Reef Restoration Program"?

Wait a minute, I just reread the description "I have the air box, and aluminum part that covers the carbs."

Hey man, that changes everything,... Maybe I need to rethink this...:001_unsure:

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
Certainly makes one lose faith in the human race sometimes.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Love the part about how this is a "better candidate" for restoration that other cars due to matching numbers. Yeah, that's good I guess. Having something more to start with than a car-shaped pile of iron oxide is also important when choosing a restoration project.

Reminds me of a V10 engine block I found la buried on the beach just outside of the Golden Gate on the Marin side once. It was a kinda neat thing to look at, but there just wasn't that much left of it.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Star Struck, it almost happened to me but I was quickly brought back to reality.
I could just picture the winning bidder receiving the car standing there in a daze saying oh [email protected]#t what was I thinking.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
PARTS CAR

As Rare And Rapidly Appreciating As These Cars Are, Whats A "Parts Car" Worth These Days? A Couple Of Grand Doesn't Seem Out Of The Ballpark.

-John

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
While the text in the ebay description for 2600 spider is clearly "optimistic", you have to admit that the photos seem honest. There's no obvious attempt at hiding anything - that thing is clearly rusted!

Anyone who bids (and three people already have) thinking they can restore this thing, is at least going in with his eyes open.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I could use the wheels. If anyone buys it and wants to sell the wheels, drop me a PM.

Thanks

Neil

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
While the text in the ebay description for 2600 spider is clearly "optimistic", you have to admit that the photos seem honest. There's no obvious attempt at hiding anything - that thing is clearly rusted!

Anyone who bids (and three people already have) thinking they can restore this thing is going in with their eyes open.
Great point. They even have closeups of the worst of it. Can't really accuse the seller of doing anymore than put the most optimistic spin on things.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
A friend had an old Ferrari that was probably in similar condition when its restoration was started about 20 years ago. The initial 'rough' estimate for the restoration was 200k. By the time it was finished the tab was more like 700K but the car is probably worth 10X the cost of restoration or more today.

I suspect to restore this 2600 would never make financial sense and it would ultimately be worth a fraction of the restoration cost.

Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,604 Posts
Mark,

Someday we'll meet. Let's say within the next 10 years. Around that time, I believe a Touring Alfa will be $500k or more.

Wanna bet a bottle of something like Chateau D'Yquem on it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts