Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked the car this evening no issues, came back to car and headlights and dash lights will not illuminate. Flashers, brake lights, radio are no issue. Fuses all check good.

Thinking headlight switch on column. Any help on how to access is appreciated. Also anything else to check?

Thank you. I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had a couple of instances with weird elec probs recently. Gauges not working after having been working fine. Power windows stopped for no reason. Swipe a finger over the bullet fuses getting them to turn a bit in their contacts. Cured my issues. The real problem is oxidation/mild corrosion on the fuse and contacts. Fuses will test good but not make good contact. This was my experience. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Had a couple of instances with weird elec probs recently. Gauges not working after having been working fine. Power windows stopped for no reason. Swipe a finger over the bullet fuses getting them to turn a bit in their contacts. Cured my issues. The real problem is oxidation/mild corrosion on the fuse and contacts. Fuses will test good but not make good contact. This was my experience. Let us know what you find.
Ditto. And bad grounds can cause all kinds of seemingly non related issues.

·
9,924 Posts
Swipe a finger over the bullet fuses getting them to turn a bit in their contacts. Cured my issues. The real problem is oxidation/mild corrosion on the fuse and contacts. Fuses will test good but not make good contact.
SkiBum said:
bad grounds can cause all kinds of seemingly non related issues.
While I'll agree that bullet fuses and grounds can be a headache on Alfa electrical systems, I doubt these are what's causing M2Charland's issue. What are the odds that all four headlight fuses would oxidize at the same time? Or that both headlight bucket grounds, as well as the dash light grounds, would fail simultaneously?

I'm guessing that M2Charland's idea of the headlight switch is the correct one; that's the single component that could cause the headlights and dash lights to fail. I'd also check the power source to the headlight switch.

M2Charland: Are both the high beams AND low beams out? How about your parking lights? Does wiggling the switch stalk with the switch in the "on" position produce any flashing?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both high beams and low beams are out. Parking lights are out as well. Flashers work, turn signals work, brake lights work. I installed new fuses, no change.

No change with wiggling the light switch stalk.

·
9,924 Posts
Both high beams and low beams are out. Parking lights are out as well. Flashers work, turn signals work, brake lights work.
Yes, that makes sense if the headlight switch - or power to the switch - is the issue. The flashers, turn signals and brake lights are on completely different circuits.

Usually when the column-mounted light switch fails, it is just the headlights that go out. These switches are under-designed for the amount of current that the headlights draw, so the headlight contacts burn out first. Usually when that happens, the parking lights continue to work OK. Since all your lights are out, and wiggling the stalk does nothing, the issue may be the power source to the switch, rather than the switch itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts