Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I thought I'd just add a little information to this thread on one of the more "fun" jobs on our old Alfa's. I bought my parts (straps (part #MI01) and rollers (part #MI022/1)) from Classic Alfa in the UK. In the past I too have experienced the problem of the straps/rollers being too tight and the strap starting to bend. Since the last time I did this (10 or so years ago) it appears that the parts quality has improved. The rollers were much more pliable, so no need for the "Lowes" fix. Karl's step-by-step guide was very helpful, especially the part about putting the string on the strap end that connects to the body before pulling the assembly out. Obviously my '73 doesn't have electric windows so access was only moderately difficult. The only one problem that I had was that "someone", most likely me since I have owned the car since I drove it off the lot brand new in January 1974, had put a larger bolt in the bottom hole of the cast aluminum roller assembly, probably because I stripped it out long ago. Getting the bolt into the hole and the "created" threads straight was a bi**h. Anyway, now the driver's door hold open works as designed. I'm still debating if I want to tackle the passenger side door. I think I'll pour a Makers 46 and contemplate that decision.

Bob J.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As other members already mentioned, it can be done, but it is a royal PITA. Especially if you have electric windows. And if you do, whatever you do, but don’t unbolt those wire-drums. Because getting these wires back in place correctly is a worse nightmare then having to do the door catch 10 times all over.

I know because twenty years ago I made that mistake!

These days I am marginally better at it. It is still a long and fiddly job. You might get lucky and pull it out on the first try. I made a fancy guidance tool to get the new one into position. Very high tech as you will see here:

Good luck

Jeroen

21 - 22 of 22 Posts