Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So I went to go take the spider out today, and the key is no longer working. I can unlock the steering wheel, but it won’t let me turn it any further to start the car.

There’s no obvious damage to the key, and I last drove it on Saturday without an issue

any ideas where to begin?

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
By any chance, have you noticed your key is hot when you take it out of the ignition?
The switch can go bad, but this sounds mechanical not electrical.

Dumb question first, but i gotta ask. Is it that the key won't turn further or is maybe the battery died and nothing happens when you turn the key? (I know, prob not this but it crossed my mind therefore gotta ask lol)

The good news is, if it is the ignition switch itself that needs replaced, the ignition key only belongs to the ignition. You won't have to carry extra keys just for a new ignition.
I suspect something in the switch has gone bad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I haven’t noticed the key being hot but it could maybe be the switch.

Battery is fine, but always a good idea to check :)

Basically I can only turn it from the lock position. The ACC, on or start position can’t be reached. It feels like there’s some kind of mechanical resistance when I try. Almost like the steering wheel lock is unlocked, but not enough if that makes sense

Would this be a symptom of a dead switch? Or would a dead switch freely move through all positions and simple not function electrically ?

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
I would think something mechanical in the switch gave way, ive never had this issue before so you may want to wait on someone more educated on the subject to respond.
Does the steering wheel unlock?

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
If it's anything like the lock cylinder on my 1990 Chrysler I just replaced....there are weak pot metal parts that will break if you force it...basically theft deterrent but unfortunately will break from normal fatigue.

Is there a way you can remove the lock cylinder and inspect? maybe a small piece has fatigued and broken off, jamming the cylinder. perhaps insignificant enough that the cylinder can still function if the offending chip is removed? there is very little clearance inside those cylinders

1 - 6 of 6 Posts