Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my horn relay doesn’t seem to be working correctly. There’s no real marking on the relay.
here’s a pic:

what are the specs for a replacement relay ? What relay should I be looking for? Does anyone have a specific recommendation ? From previous posts I believe Lucas provided a lot of the relays.
Reoriginals has a version :

From reading previous posts you can try and repair relays....I’ll look into that too.
But if anybody has a recommendation for a which relay to go for, that would be very helpful !
Thanks

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Deleon or Lucas, correct relay.
Reoriginal's relay is correct.
Hard to find as "second hand", not cheap as new.
Chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Chris.
I managed to find and refurbish an old lucas sb40 which (after more investigation) is what that is in my pic....
I’ll have a pair of sb40s (horn and flasher) , which I believe is period correct.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sounds good. Yes, it's period correct :)
If you horn is working, but not everytime you need, check also your center steering wheel, just in case...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha !
well....if you look at one of my other posts, you’ll see I’ve been getting into the “notorious” 2 wires running through the steering column. The horn behaves itself...the headlight flash is a little too
unpredictable....so am getting into that!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ossodiseppia _

Yes, thats the Lucas SB40.....and thats the kind I have on my car.

They're not very complicated - theres only 3 connections (as you can plainly see).
How are you with electrics? Im not the best but I tested mine and fixed one of them....
I would go online and do a search on testing/repairing relays. Its not that I dont want to help you, but theres already some great videos on youtube about relays - maybe someone more "electrically" confident might respond :)

However, I will say this...and if youre not reasonably sure on any of this, then dont do it! and check online first! oh....and dont blame me if anything goes wrong :)

• if you have some test leads and a bulb you can do some really simple trouble shooting just to see if its working
  • the first test Id do, is connect the lower power circuit and see if its closing the relay switch...that would be wires to 2 of those connectors on the relay (you have 3 connectors in total). Ill let you confirm that out using your online research but I believe its the 2 terminals on the right of your second pic (power to the middle - touch the right terminal to earth but please check first). So youd have +ve from battery to the middle terminal, then a second lead from -ve on battery, which you would touch on the far right terminal....make sense? does it click when you touch lead on right terminal??
  • if thats working you can then test whether youre making a proper secondary circuit when the switch closes....by repeating the previous test but with another wire going from the remaining terminal to a bulb which is then to earth....as you touch the right terminal to earth (as you did in the first test), you should hear the switch click shut, and then hopefully it closes the secondary circuit and your bulb will light up....
  • theyre easy to work on because you can pull back the tabs and open it up. Be very careful with it - the coil has very fine wire on it and you dont want to damage that.....however you can test it without opening it first, of course...
  • theres a lot of helpful info on fixing them online too
I hope that helps....and please double check everything I suggested before trying it....
roger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts