Fit of bushing to sway bar end? Repair? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Fit of bushing to sway bar end? Repair?

Somehow I did not include the sway bars when I had the suspension components powder coated several years ago. After procrastinating all that time, now that I am getting close to driving it I finally got around to having that done and I am sick with the results.

When I dropped them off I told the guy to mask off the ends of the sway bars. Sure enough, I pick them up today and the have a nice thick coat on them. I complained and the guy said he could fix it. I told him do NOT get into the metal. He assured me he would not. After waiting a few minutes I walked back into the shop and he's going at the bar with a sander and I see a burst of sparks. I yell at him to stop. Long story short, I got home and the bushings drop right on to the ends of the sway bars.

This is supposed to be a tight/press fit, right? Is there any good way of salvaging these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:18 PM
Platinum Subscriber

They should be a press fit

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

I picked out what seems to be the closest fitting bushings. They don't slide on freely but I suspect that I could tap them on pretty easily. Is there any way to gauge tight enough?

Is there any good way to rescue these? I am almost literally sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

I've got several sway bars down here in Hagerstown. What year is your car? Front or rear?

Bill Sinclair
67 Duetto
69 Berlina
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM

yeah just source a replacement. they are readily available.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:06 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Anyone in the powder coating business knows that MEK can be used to remove powder coating.

Is it the end links or the bar itself?

Either way, they owe you a freebie!

Get some replacement parts and take them back. Ask them to make it right and do it right.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:15 PM

What car is this for? I am going to replace the bar on my 73 GTV with an S4 spider bar so I can get rid of those tiresome pressed on links and use the ball jointed items. You can go that route or buy my stock GTV bar....

'73 GTV bare metal project... nearing 'car' status
E30 Daily - '65 912 project... no longer in waiting
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Sway bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
I've got several sway bars down here in Hagerstown. What year is your car? Front or rear?
Bill, that would be fantastic!

My car is a 69 Spider. I need both front and rear sway bars. The links are ok.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:20 PM

Another example of powder coating overkill. .. Usually get's bad results on backing plates too. .. OCD I'll never be accused of. keep the powder coaters happy with outdoor furniture.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

Yeah, I've got 'em. $20 - $40 each depending on condition. I can pick up some more from storage tomorrow night so you'll have more to choose from. Might want to bring your originals for comparison. Figure out a good time to come down - I'm about 45 minutes from Carlisle. I work from home during the day.

Bill Sinclair
67 Duetto
69 Berlina
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! Friday mid morning is most convenient for me but if that is not good I can come any evening. PM an address and best time.

Thank you again!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
Another example of powder coating overkill. .. Usually get's bad results on backing plates too. .. OCD I'll never be accused of. keep the powder coaters happy with outdoor furniture.

I am very, very happy with everything else, including the backing plates. I should have gone back to that powder coater and I will take these there.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61SS View Post
I am very, very happy with everything else, including the backing plates. I should have gone back to that powder coater and I will take these there.
The reason I mentioned backing plates is the Giulietta brakes have a sliding brake cylinder in the rear and more folks have had brake lockup after powder coating because the cylinder won't slide in the plate from paint build up as a result of powder coating. It's just a thing with me to stay away from it , not to save money but to save resulting aggravation that can result in the most in conspicuous way after doing it.. .
ballough510 likes this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:09 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61SS View Post
I picked out what seems to be the closest fitting bushings. They don't slide on freely but I suspect that I could tap them on pretty easily. Is there any way to gauge tight enough?

Is there any good way to rescue these? I am almost literally sick.
Yes - you can rescue the bar. What you want to do is to "peen" a few small dimples in the bar end with a punch. This will deform them enough to get a secure press fit for the bushings. Nothing drastic otherwise you won't be able to get the bushing on. Give it a try, at this point you don't have much to lose.
horsewidower likes this.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

750-ALFA
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:15 PM

Agree - ive done this on other parts with success. There is also a loctite made for the purpose. But in this case a replacement bar seems a reasonable repair too.

'73 GTV bare metal project... nearing 'car' status
E30 Daily - '65 912 project... no longer in waiting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode