Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Best Tires for Trackdays

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Sketchl 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking at track day tires (not race tires). I currently run NT01. But, my understanding is that I can get a good 200 wear rated tire that would do as well (?).

Open to 14", but more likely will be 15" options. Criteria being 90% based on DRY lap times, and 10% based on wet or damp performance. Availability in US market

In the running seem to be the following (and feel free to add any suggestions).

200 Tread Wear Options (Street Tire for Track):

Toyo R1R

Bridgestone RE-71R

Yokohama AD08R

Falken RT615-K

Pirelli CN36 (??)

Track Tire for Street (TW)

Nankang NS2R (120/180)

Nankang AR-1 (100)

Avon CR6ZZ (80)

Toyo 888/888R (100)

Nitto NT-01 (100)

See less See more
#2 ·
it allways is a compromise... I really like the Nankang NS2R , and more so the AR-1. Problem is: first is better wet/damp, AR-1 is really for dry. (no experience wet with that). Both have street permission, at least in the eu. Both are very nice priced.Old Toyo 888 is in between these two, is better in the wet than AR-1, bit better tha the NS2R in damp conditions, but a bit slower on dry. the new Toyo I do not have any experience with.
Both (all 3 in fact) will be better than the list you have. NS2R being a nice allrounder.

I use them on my racecar: have full wets for really rainy conditions, the NS2R as intermediate, and had the AR1 for dry, now on slicks. Slicks is a bit faster, but not much . Really good track tyres. reasonable wear too. Did 1,5 racing season on 6 tyres.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions on Nankang tires. It looks like the NS-2R may be mfg in two compounds - one being 120 and the other 180 wear rating. The AR1 is 100 - an R compound "DOT Race" tire - which is more like what I've been using up to this point from Kumho and Nitto. But, from first look, it appears Nankang is not as well distributed here. But, I will look into it some more and see if I can find a good source here.

#5 ·
no shaving. BTW: Nankang need lower pressure to start with than say a Toyo R888. There are a lot of stories on the www that it are bad tyres, but most of the time the bad experiences start with bad pressure and not adapting it in the correct way (not measuring temparature or pressure right after a session). I check the NS2R compound when I am home.

#7 ·
Only chiming in on tires I've had experience with:

RE-71R does the best at autocross, but it tends to overheat and wear quickly on the track. However, they could do very well if you are just looking for a couple of fast hot laps.

Falken 615+ wears like iron but will be slower than the other 200TW tires. I got rid of them after too many heat cycles rendered them roller skates, but they still had plenty of tread. Might have been fun for some anti-social burnouts, but I suppose I'm too much of a goody two-shoes for that!

Hankook r-S3/4: Similar to the Falkens.

R888R: They were pretty cheap in 205/50/15, but they seem to be somewhere between the RE-71R and Falkens. More of a track tire than the 200tw tires, and a bit better heat resistance, but won't be as good in the street and could be scary in the rain (no experience with rain yet though). Quickest lap won't be much quicker than the RE-71R, but you should get a few more of them before they fall off.

#8 ·
What was clear speaking with my tyre supplier overhere is that most people put too much pressure in semi slicks. Pressure cold I run with AR 1 is almost as low as with slicks. pressure hot should be around 2.2 bar. Most tracks going clockwise that means left rear a bit lower than right rear and left front, and right front a bit higher.
Go from there, measure straight from the track, let all off to 2.2 and leave that the rest of the day.

#9 ·
Agree 100% with Veep, tire pressures are crucial and should be done straight away as you enter pit lane. I actually carry the tyre pressure gauge in the car and adjust/check for the first 2-3 sessions as the tyre pressures will continue to vary depending on track temperatures.

I’ve converted from Yokohama AD08R’s to A050’s, heaps more control in every aspects on the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.