Alfetta Front tire position - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Alfetta Front tire position

I noticed something after I got new tires as I was checking for clearance and such. The right front wheel sits further back than the left. Maybe ˝ cm to 1 cm. The car had been in an accident previously on that side of the car and there does remain some mild wrinkling of the inner fender well in between the shock mount and the front castor arm attachment point. The old tire was also unevenly worn on this side. The inside edge was worn out to the belts when the other tires were just plain worn out.

My question is, can an alignment using the upper castor arm to pull the wheel forward a bit be effective? Would an alignment shop know if he can fix such an issue with his adjustment or tell me the car has issues that need to go back to a body shop?

I’m pretty sure that the only portion that had changed its position is the mounting point of the upper arm. Everything behind the wrinkle seems intact. There is at least 2 cm of thread on each side of the adjuster nuts to play with.

I do not remember if an alignment was done after the accident.

Thanks,

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by iachella View Post
I noticed something after I got new tires as I was checking for clearance and such. The right front wheel sits further back than the left. Maybe ˝ cm to 1 cm. The car had been in an accident previously on that side of the car and there does remain some mild wrinkling of the inner fender well in between the shock mount and the front castor arm attachment point. The old tire was also unevenly worn on this side. The inside edge was worn out to the belts when the other tires were just plain worn out.

My question is, can an alignment using the upper castor arm to pull the wheel forward a bit be effective? Would an alignment shop know if he can fix such an issue with his adjustment or tell me the car has issues that need to go back to a body shop?

I’m pretty sure that the only portion that had changed its position is the mounting point of the upper arm. Everything behind the wrinkle seems intact. There is at least 2 cm of thread on each side of the adjuster nuts to play with.

I do not remember if an alignment was done after the accident.

Thanks,
I took a car that I had recently bought in for an alignment with a similar issue and the shop told me they couldn't get it in spec without some "adjustment" of the control arms. They were able to fix it just with some long pry bars.

I would take it to a good alignment shop and see what they think. If they can get it in spec then great, if not you might need a body shop to adjust the suspension a bit for you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 164LS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode