Rear breaking loose on '71 GTV - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:01 PM

depends if the fun is happening in turns(ing) - which it sounds like.
the trailing arm thing happens w throttle on/ throttle off "noticeable" even whilst going in a straight line. punch throttle and car will leap to one side (to the right irrc), take foot off throttle because throttle-on scared the crap out of you and car will jump the other way. when they are bad, at highway speeds, will jump almost a full lane. lots of fun.
if in a turn, most likely due to the trunnion bushings. trunnion is the only thing keeping the rear of the car centered over the axle... there are 2 bushing sets that keep the car located properly over the axle... the bushings at the pin on the diff and the bushings on end of trunnion where joins body. if one (or worse, both) are shot, the rear end will self steer shockingly. will wander in straight line, make a turn and will be totally terrifying. most likely the ones at the ends of trunnion, against body are long gone.. in the dwg above, they are P/N 1365 48420 - the thin dount ones. w them gone, the car will slide side to side over the axle (or vice versa) steering away. very exhilarating.
based on the condition of the car as already described.. i bet all of the above need attention.
andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

From the description that is exactly what is happening. He never complained about a striaght line. To be clearer when I spoke to him it broke lose on a sweeping on ramp turn and almost fish tailed. He was able to steer out of it and I explain no way that is normal from looking at this suspension.

While we're on it. He said the front has a ton of play. Again, I realize a full re-bush is in order, but until he can budget that I would like to get the car off the crippled list at least to go for a semi-fun run after the Wes bits are on. Would that be more than just tie-rod ends?
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 02:33 PM

"it broke lose on a sweeping on ramp turn and almost fish tailed."
well, it seems to me that the rear end problem is a lot worse than the front end - and the front end sounds bad. trunnion bushings in poly are $25 and go on the car in a few minutes with just a little swearing. the diff pin bushes are also $25 and go on w a little more work. get them both done in an afternoon.
as to the looseness in front end - hard to say, the list of potential problem sites is very long and most likely multiple sites involved. tie rods are a very good place to start.
can check those readily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the car is not "great". While he is an enthusiast and I have no doubt a good driver (has a Cayman) its very clear he's never been able to experience what that suspension can do.

Need to get the rear sorted and then go from there...
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:51 AM

once sorted, he will love it. direct, immediate response w great balance. will take a little bit to get there from here. the good news is that once sorted, will be good for a very long time.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Pretty much what I told him. I'm ok with getting through it because I want to experience his impression of what an proper set up Alfa can do. Send me that info!
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

barboncino105 - are you a professional soothsayer? Do you do parties?

Here what we found and didn't find.

The ends of the Trunnuion where those flat bushing go are but a whispy memory - completely non-existant. On the other end the conical bushing are so swollen they look like two barrel bushings. Toast.

The connecting rods that go to the body then to the anti-sway bar have totally shot bushing. I'm sure the sway bar bushings are toast as well. Who knows what state the A-arm bushings are in judging by these other issues.

One thing that totally freaked me out. He mentioned a local shop replaced the wheel bearing. For interest I tried to flex the wheels and they did flex. A lot. Vertical produced a 'clunking' sound. A lot of play to me for new wheel bearings. Is this normal for an Alfa?
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 06:08 AM

A lot of play to me for new wheel bearings. Is this normal for an Alfa?
no. alfa wheel bearings are & work like any other wheel bearings. sounds like whole front end might be shot. in any case, easy enough to check wheel bearing play and adjust.
the clunk might be lower ball joints... but hope is just the bearings for now.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barboncino105 View Post
A lot of play to me for new wheel bearings. Is this normal for an Alfa?
no. alfa wheel bearings are & work like any other wheel bearings. sounds like whole front end might be shot. in any case, easy enough to check wheel bearing play and adjust.
the clunk might be lower ball joints... but hope is just the bearings for now.
This is the rear of the car.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 06:58 AM

oops, sorry. due to the nature of the rear axle/bearing/ wheel, there typically is a little play in rear wheel - but not much... and definitely no clunking. sounds very wrong to me.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barboncino105 View Post
oops, sorry. due to the nature of the rear axle/bearing/ wheel, there typically is a little play in rear wheel - but not much... and definitely no clunking. sounds very wrong to me.
Play seems excessive. Clunk seems wrong. When we redo the basics for the rear (very scary to me what we found - essentially the anti-sway or roll is not working nor the trunnion bar) we're review the wheel bearings.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 09:15 AM

If the fiber washers on the trunnion have broken down it can feel as if a wheel bearing is loose with a similar sound.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleggerita View Post
If the fiber washers on the trunnion have broken down it can feel as if a wheel bearing is loose with a similar sound.
When the parts come and we install, I'll test again. Thx for the info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode