Warning - Tire recall - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Warning - Tire recall

Probably not something you would normally consider for your Alfa, but if you encounter these tires anywhere, beware.

" Federal officials have told a small New Jersey importer to recall 450,000 radial tires for pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles and vans after the company disclosed that its Chinese manufacturer had stopped including a safety feature that prevented the tires from separating.

The company, Foreign Tire Sales of Union, N.J., had originally sought the federal government’s help with a recall, saying it did not have enough money to recall all the tires itself. Typically, importers are responsible for the cost of recalling defective foreign products.

But officials at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it remained the responsibility of Foreign Tire Sales to pay for the costs of the recall, said Heather Hopkins, a spokeswoman for the agency. She said the agency wanted “a full tire recall” by the company.

Ms. Hopkins said the agency’s top officials were “outraged” that Foreign Tire Sales’ executives waited more than two years to pass on their suspicions about problems with the tires.

The company came forward only after it was named as a defendant in a lawsuit, filed in May, involving an accident in which two construction workers were killed and a third was severely injured when a van rolled over. The lawsuit contended that the accident was caused by tread separation in a Hangzhou Zhongce tire.

An official at Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber, reached late Monday, declined to comment. The defective tires are sold under the brand names Westlake, Compass, Telluride and YKS, Mr. Lavigne said. "

1967 1600 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 01:57 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
Probably not something you would normally consider for your Alfa, but if you encounter these tires anywhere, beware.

" Federal officials have told a small New Jersey importer to recall 450,000 radial tires for pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles and vans after the company disclosed that its Chinese manufacturer had stopped including a safety feature that prevented the tires from separating.

The company, Foreign Tire Sales of Union, N.J., had originally sought the federal government’s help with a recall, saying it did not have enough money to recall all the tires itself. Typically, importers are responsible for the cost of recalling defective foreign products.

But officials at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it remained the responsibility of Foreign Tire Sales to pay for the costs of the recall, said Heather Hopkins, a spokeswoman for the agency. She said the agency wanted “a full tire recall” by the company.

Ms. Hopkins said the agency’s top officials were “outraged” that Foreign Tire Sales’ executives waited more than two years to pass on their suspicions about problems with the tires.

The company came forward only after it was named as a defendant in a lawsuit, filed in May, involving an accident in which two construction workers were killed and a third was severely injured when a van rolled over. The lawsuit contended that the accident was caused by tread separation in a Hangzhou Zhongce tire.

An official at Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber, reached late Monday, declined to comment. The defective tires are sold under the brand names Westlake, Compass, Telluride and YKS, Mr. Lavigne said. "
Yeah, safety feature.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 02:59 PM

You buy cheap, you get cheap IMO

Loud pipes save lives.

1973 GTV - bought 3/06, intend to keep forever
1969 GTV, #AR1530021 - sold 10/72, guess didn't intend to keep forever
Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 06:47 PM

I hate to say this, but I have the impression that Chinese quality is sub-standard so I make a diligent effort to avoid such products...

Best regards,

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunige View Post
I hate to say this, but I have the impression that Chinese quality is sub-standard so I make a diligent effort to avoid such products...

Best regards,
But then again, I've always found their firecrackers pretty good.

Signed,
One thumb
Attached Images

Loud pipes save lives.

Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart

Last edited by lowmileage; 06-29-2007 at 06:34 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 AM

Are the Chinese putting formaldehyde in their tires, too? Here we thought it was merely a food problem.

Bill / 1977 Alfa Romeo 4C2000 / 2012 BMW S1000RR / 1975 BMW R90/6
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmileage View Post
You buy cheap, you get cheap IMO
Exactly! You always get what you pay for.(most of the time) I avoid "MADE IN CHINA" at all costs. I will not support that country if I can, no matter how bad I may need a product! If it is made in China I put it back. I rather have something made in MEXICO!!!

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfissimo Int. View Post
I rather have something made in MEXICO!!!

Gracias,

Jesus-Ernesto
Attached Images

Loud pipes save lives.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmileage View Post
Gracias,

Jesus-Ernesto
LOL!

Lived there for 8 years!
VW has been making cars there for...how long...Oh yeah I have owned 3 of them, All of them bulletproof, well most of them ha!
I think even good year has a factory there makin belts and other rubber goods( not the ones you are thinking!!)

Anyways, who the heck buys Chinese tires?

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.

Last edited by Alfissimo Int.; 06-29-2007 at 10:55 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfissimo Int. View Post
Anyways, who the heck buys Chinese tires?
Those who, after extensive engine and body tuning, getting some japanese straight four 2-liter to produce 400 hp, finds they're out of money to put all those horsepowers to the ground in a decent fashion.

And, of course, those who want "a reasonably priced set of those round, rubber-y things for my daily commuter".

There is obviously a market for these crappy tires, or they wouldn't be recalled in such high numbers ...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 04:42 AM

I can't imagine anyone here using crappy Chinese tires on their pride and joy, I only use Yokahama tires on my car.

Phil
1961 MGA 1600 Roadster, British Racing Green
1966 Giulia Sprint GT ,Argento
1970 1750 GTV s2, Verde Olivo Metallica (AR213)
2005 Holden Rodeo LT Crew Cab, Fox Fire Red

{Oo==V==oO}

Previously owned
1983 Ford Laser KB, Beige
1985 Volvo 360 GLT Dark Mettalic Blue
1970 GT Junior stepnose Resprayed Red, Giallo Ochre
1923 Amilcar Sports, rusty
I may only own two ALFAs now, but the handle stays as I am always chasing another one.

Last edited by Threealfas; 07-01-2007 at 04:49 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 05:10 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

LOL

And 30-40 years ago 'Made in Japan' was the biggest curse you could put upon a product. (even more so 60 years ago when the labels said 'Made in occupied Japan')

It's not neccisarily the engineering or design, it's the production quiality control that is at issue.

When you hire people for 22 cents a day, you get 12 cents a day worth of attention to detail.

The downside is many international corporations are going to China for manufacturing simply because they can get labor for 22 cents a day and a factory that can shove vast quantities out the door for less than pennies on the dollar making for a broader profit margin. (tax free if it's a US corporation)

It's not the nation of China that's the problem, it's the standards and practices of international corporations in China.

Saying 'if it's from China, it sucks' is right up there with 'Polish are stupid', 'Germans are warmongers', 'French are snobs', 'Brits are snotty', 'Americans are stupid', 'Mexicans are good for nothing but labor', 'Irish are drunks' and 'Africans are lazy'.

Or at least makes as much sense as any of those other statements.

If the product sucks due to poor quality control, then it sucks due to poor quality control, regardless of who manufactured it. If the corporations cared more about the product than the revinue, they'd see to it that quality control was up to par.

Other products that had issue with Q control and that garnered a nasty reputation, manufactured in places other than China:

DeLorean (Ireland)
Edsel (Ford US)
Yugo (Chekyslovakia <sp>)
Vega (Chevy US)
Neon (Dalimer/Chrysler)
Firestone tires (Bridgestone group, Japan)
Old Lucas electrics? (Britain I think, though it's too dark in here to read properly)
Coleco Intellivision (US)
Atari 2600 (US)
Texas Instruments TI99/4-A (US)
Renault Alliance (France)
Maserati whatever the hell is was that was built on the Plymouth K-car chassis (US, Italy)
Rover (UK, pre-Ford)

Etc, etc, etc.......

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

as hosted by

&

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode