Alfetta ZF steering rack bush replacement - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Alfetta ZF steering rack bush replacement

I am REALLY hoping that the last knock to be eliminated from my Alfetta GT relates to the bush at the outer (passenger) end of the ZF steering rack- ie the metal (later plastic) bush in the end of the rack housing. I have already done tie rods & ends, and the rack itself seems fine.

I have seen one-only ebay source, being from Greece, offering a plastic bush WITHOUT O rings. The usual suppliers don't seem to carry the bushes.

I'm looking for leads for suppliers, and hints, tips or traps...

Are the O rings generic/standard easily obtainable?

Is there a separate seal inside/before the bush?

What about lubrication? I assume it would be smart to redo after 40 years. what lube should I use?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Ranz; 04-02-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 04:44 AM

I don't think the O rings are seals because grease can pass through the bush
I think the rubber rings could be to tension the bush against the rack
the only other O ring,s are in the preload tensioner and above the needle bearing at the top of the rack housing
I have just finished swapping an alfetta rack into my gtv6
I pulled it apart and cleaned it up changed the needle bearings
the bush was fine could not find a supply was thinking of making one out of nylon
the old rack had a worn knocking bush and a collapsed bearing in the top of the pinion

Glen 3.0 GTV6 2.0 156 JTS
EX 1.2 Alfasud. 1.8 and 2.0 Alfetta's 2.5 Alfa75
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 04:53 AM

all bearings and seals are available it's just that bush
I used black moly grease filled the housing and the tie rod boots
HK1712 is the number for the needle roller

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Sportiva, much appreciated.

As you say, you would expect the grease would need to migrate along the rack with movement, so as for the O-rings, yeah, who knows, but I have sourced a bush (yet to arrive) and will look for evidence of any rings as I dismantle the rack and try to duplicate.

On the dismantling front, it looks like it should be straightforward to unwind the tie rods from the rack - any traps?

Lastly, when you say all seals are available, what was your source, please?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:03 PM

hi ranz

sorry about late reply, cyclonic weather for the last four days

if you want to keep the wheel alignment mark the the tie rod at the locknut and undo them

roller bearing seal 17mm ID, 3mm thick i put in a 3.5 its a bit tight
the needle roller bearing #HK1712
the pinion shaft bearing #6202LL
i purchased these parts from CBC BEARINGS NEWCASTLE

the most critical O ring is the one above the needle roller it keeps
water out !!!!!! on the rack i removed from my car this bearing had failed and broken, pieces then made there way into the rack housing

the other O rings are at the bush end 2 of them they act more like a band than a seal and another at the bearing preload tensioner it also is not a seal

please feel free to ask any question even if you have already done the job

cheers glen

Last edited by sportiva; 11-04-2015 at 11:14 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Just like Foghorn Leghorn, I have a spare set of feathers for just such an emergency... (my original steering rack, which had the same problem, which I thought not easily solvable at the time, so I fitted another).

I will practice by dismantling and perhaps resurrecting that one. Or fail dismally and send it to an expert.

Either way, Thank you for the info.

And although I rarely listen to grizzles about Sydney weather (I live in Hobart), this time it's probably justified, so I trust all is OK up your end.

And yes, thanks, I may well come back with another question, especially since my first go at unwinding the tie rod was less than successful. Maybe I just need to man up and apply a bit more force.

Cheers.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
I am REALLY hoping that the last knock to be eliminated from my Alfetta GT relates to the bush at the outer (passenger) end of the ZF steering rack- ie the metal (later plastic) bush in the end of the rack housing. I have already done tie rods & ends, and the rack itself seems fine.

I have seen one-only ebay source, being from Greece, offering a plastic bush WITHOUT O rings. The usual suppliers don't seem to carry the bushes.

I'm looking for leads for suppliers, and hints, tips or traps...

Are the O rings generic/standard easily obtainable?

Is there a separate seal inside/before the bush?

What about lubrication? I assume it would be smart to redo after 40 years. what lube should I use?

Thanks in advance...
I'm about to try and tackle this with our GTV6's spica steering rack. It also has the passenger side bushing worn out. I cannot find the part and I am wondering if we need to switch to an Alfetta ZF rack now since there seems to be parts available for it. Are there Spica rack parts available somewhere?

Last edited by AvorioVeloce; 11-01-2015 at 07:09 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 08:05 PM

Hi Avorioveloce

The information exchanged between Ranz and myself pertains to right hand drive steering racks we also did not get Spica steering racks here in Australia
I don't know if the ZF Alfetta LHD rack is a mirror image of the RHD version, if it is ? the only hard to obtain part is that rack end bush
sorry I can't help you more

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:04 PM

I have supplied serial and part numbers to ZF re steering rack, and asked about the availability of parts. I will wait for a reply and keep you posted
I see no reason why rack bushes and bearings should be different between right or left hand drive steering racks .......... but you never know?
I have also just ordered a rack end bush from flea bay for a renault based on how it looked, it was less than $10 so worth a try might be able to modify it to fit
cheers

Last edited by sportiva; 11-01-2015 at 09:11 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 10:25 PM

I received an email from ZF today that read " the rack end bush is no longer available" and suggesting I have one manufactured

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

I wonder if at least they might be able to supply a diagram and specs for that purpose? Good candidate for 3D printing, I would say. May I be so bold as to suggest you ask a question of them to that affect.

Failing that, it looks like I may have secured the last one in captivity, then, and I still have it uninstalled, so could perhaps find someone to scan/CAD it for 3D printing.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 12:27 AM

Hi Ranz

There must be a 3D printer in Hobart somewhere. I thought about making a bush, the raised sections that fit into the recess in the rack housing that stop the bush moving up the rack will need some thought. printing sounds easier. I am waiting on a bush from a Renault, looks very similar I'll see if that works when I get it

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportiva View Post
Hi Ranz

There must be a 3D printer in Hobart somewhere. I thought about making a bush, the raised sections that fit into the recess in the rack housing that stop the bush moving up the rack will need some thought. printing sounds easier. I am waiting on a bush from a Renault, looks very similar I'll see if that works when I get it
Looks like those with the ZF rack are in luck. I am waiting to hear back from the vendor which rack this is for. Since they list it for a 75/90 or Alfetta (not GTV6) I am assuming its the ZF rack, but who knows right? Hopefully this exists for the SPICA rack, otherwise it will be easier and faster to swap in the Alfetta's ZF rack.

*FRP*BOCCOLA SCATOLA STERZO ALFETTA 75 90 GIULIETTA | eBay
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Avorio - that pic looks identical to the bush I have, which is supposed to be for the ZF rack.

Although steering columns started to vary thru GTV 6 to 75 & 90, I think GTV6 racks are the same as the other Alfettas.

For example, the suggestion in that eBay ad is that the bush fits 75s & 90s too, despite the addition of power assistance, which is encouraging.

I will check out the 3D thing locally.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 05:28 AM

I had a chance to take apart our GTV6 Spica steering rack and was pleased to see that our rack end bushing looks very similar to the one I posted and bought a few weeks back. I hope to have it in my possession sometime next week and will reply back if they are compatible.

My next issue was what looked like corrosion on the rack shaft. It may have lead to the wear that caused the rack end bushing to fail. I will try and take some better closer pictures of this. I wonder if it needs to be sand blasted and coated with something again?
Attached Images

Last edited by AvorioVeloce; 11-20-2015 at 05:31 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode